Hi from Newcastle

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Cheew
Larva

Hi from Newcastle

Post by Cheew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi all. I would like to start by thanking you all for the excellent information and contributions in this forum.

Great idea!

Anyway, I've kept many bugs, 90% of which were mantids. Ive bread most types of live food (very interesting) and in 2008 ish I tried to keep leaf cutting ants.

I bought them off ebay and i assume they were supplied by Andrew and I remember it was post stamped from Falkirk or Glasgow?

I was not very successful to say the least.

I tried the only setup I could find on the internet which consisted of a large aquarium with water and a heater and 2 islands.

I remember the humidity and temperature were spot on but the ants mostly drowned on the first night. Followed by the queen dieing a few days later.
I was gutted because I had done what i thought was a lot of research.

Looking back at my photos, I can see that I was using an open topped container (the one the ants came in). I assumesd the ants would be fine like this. Apparently not.

If i tried again i would prabably use a large heated aquarium with fungus garden cube of acrylic and an open feeding tank with ptfe round the rim. (no water moat this time)

Slightly deterred I have not tried to keep ants since, this forum has started me off thinking about trying again.
Ive gone as far as telling my wife i want a new laptop or ants for Christmas. She isnt keen to say the least.

Will keep a log if i get another chance at it. .

Mat.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Cheew
Larva

Re: Hi from Newcastle

Post by Cheew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I've just remembered that I kept a short diary on the antstore forum. And it didnt all happen exatly as i remembered.

One thing I do now remember is how bad I felt with a lot of negative comments and very little help (some good) when posting on a forum.

If anyone cares to read the posts, it is a great example of how you sometimes need thick skin on a forum.

https://www.antstore.net/forum/new-atta ... 10692.html

Mat.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi Mat and welcome again, I can guarantee no matter what happens with a colony you wont get negative-know it all comments like you experienced on your last go with Atta, no wonder you haven't tried again till now ;) But really its a friendly bunch of like minded people on here of whom all have made mistakes along the way.
You sounded a bit unlucky with your first colony, I started with an Acromyrmex in the same set up and they did well, I just placed the fungus, workers and queen on the surface of the soil and they did the rest, took ages to get going. I ended up with two cubes in the tank, one Atta-one Acromyrmex and fed them directly on the soil, imagine if I had posted that on that forum-think I would have got death threats!

Cheew
Larva

Post by Cheew » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks Jamie. Looks like a reet good bunch on here!

Look forward to trying again with the info and support of you guys.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Matt, hi. Looks like a return to the arena is in the cards for you. I read the thread on Ant Store. I like it! Good approach! Just what someone who wants advice needs! A bunch of aggressive, unregulated 'experts' whose advice is questionable but delivered in a 'shut up and listen' kind of way. As Jamie says, friendly and interactive place to be, this forum. Ill wait for the right opportunity to try out the Antstore forum approach to new members and see how that helps boost member numbers!! (Just joking)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Just read the thread.. funny in a sad sort of way. That sort of "abuse" is not untypical of other ant related forums I've come across. I think it may be because the members are often young? I don't know.

That said, there was only really a couple of them in the thread that were total dickheads, then one chap was a bit more reasonable. Sadly, it's the dickheads who always have the loudest voices... They can't wait to wade in. They have something wrong in their lives.. we don't know what exactly.. but they're sad... very sad people..

Have a look at my build thread (I need to do an update) to see an aquarium based set up that is also expandable beyond the aquarium itself. I started my ants on an island and I didn't lose any to drowning. I'm not gloating when i say that !! I just mean you were on the right track.. you probably just need some tweaks...

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Be inclined to ban folk like that, not had the chance to ban anyone yet
Getting into this talk talk thing lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk