Hello from Scotland

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Ruairidh
Larva

Hello from Scotland

Post by Ruairidh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the LCA topic with no experiance and pretty much no knowlege on it, but I have a real interest in the keeping of extoic/unusual animals and love seeing how their housing is created and the end products :D Really im just starting in the world of "not your average pet" and at the moment keep a crested gecko in a soon to be, planted vivarium, with intentions of expanding out to other species... at some point :P At the moment ants arent quite an option but im interested in what its all about and hope you dont mind me tagging along and having a nosey into what it is you do!

RichardP
Worker

Re: Hello from Scotland

Post by RichardP » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Welcome.. it's an extremely fascinating hobby :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi and welcome again Ruairidh, meant to ask you what your going to keep in your planted vivarium? I've kept a couple of dart frog species and would highly recommend them. There very interesting and are diurnal so you see them loads during the day where tree frogs etc are nocturnal.
After leafcutter darts are the most enjoyable thing I've kept.
Jamie

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:23 pm

*Looks up dart frogs*

Ruairidh
Larva

Post by Ruairidh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:35 pm

deansie26 wrote:meant to ask you what your going to keep in your planted vivarium?
Will be housing a crested gecko in this vivarium, ive recently been researching pdfs and Id say they will be my next project :P, im hooked on the whole idea of creating a natural environment for something to live in, but i'll have to wait for the end of exams before I think about expanding :cry:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Ruairidh wrote:at the moment keep a crested gecko in a soon to be, planted vivarium
deansie26 wrote:meant to ask you what your going to keep in your planted vivarium?
Mmmmh? Can't put that one down to using your phone and mistyping, Jamie. We should put that down to it being Friday and the end of a hard week waiting for something to catch fire.

And a really warm welcome to you Ruairidh. What on earth does your name mean and where in Scotland are you. If its Gaelic then up north?

Ruairidh
Larva

Post by Ruairidh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 pm

And a really warm welcome to you Ruairidh. What on earth does your name mean and where in Scotland are you. If its Gaelic then up north?
Ruairidh is Gaelic for Roddrick or Roddy and im currently based in Edinburgh but will be moving up north in a few months once exams are over. Where is it you're based?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:
Ruairidh wrote:at the moment keep a crested gecko in a soon to be, planted vivarium
Mmmmh? Can't put that one down to using your phone and mistyping, Jamie. We should put that down to it being Friday and the end of a hard week waiting for something to catch fire.

Ha ha, I blame kids for frying my brain. I'm getting paranoid! Must check and re-check as I know eyes are on me!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Ruairidh wrote:
Ruairidh is Gaelic for Roddrick or Roddy and im currently based in Edinburgh but will be moving up north in a few months once exams are over. Where is it you're based?
Based in Falkirk. Got over a hundred colonies of Leaf Cutters here. Atta and Acromyrmex.

Ruairidh
Larva

Post by Ruairidh » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Where the hell do you keep them!? xD