Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
hutch
Egg

Hello

Post by hutch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I have a research group at the University of East Anglia in Norwich UK and we are interested in the symbiosis formed between Acromyrmex ants and antibiotic producing actinomycete bacteria. We try and understand how these mutually beneficial symbioses form and the chemicals that the host and bacteria exchange. We are also exploring these systems for new antibiotics for the clinic.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Welcome to our forum. You are among good company here. We are all obsessed by LCA's. Your research is really interesting. I am sure if you need any help with any part of your research, the members here will be keen to participate. If you need any workers from colonies being kept sent to you. I have many colonies that were, 2 weeks ago, in Trinidad. Does the presence of these cuticular chemicals diminish in captivity or change in any way. Is there any advantage or difference between field collected specimens and captive ones. What about between species. We have one or two members with different species of Acromyrmex. I am off to Paraguay later in the year and hope to get quite a few different species of Acros. On this forum there is a section for researchers which I am keen to develop. Any contributions you can make there would be most welcome. I think many keepers on here would love to discuss the more advanced aspects of LCA biology. Looking forward to interacting with you in the future on this site. Good to see you, Andrew

Deansie26
Major

Re: Hello

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello Hutch, thanks for joining! Cant wait to read up on what information you can share with the forum. Think you have joined at a great time as there are many really interesting people on here now and I'm sure it will only continue to rise. Again nice to meet you and hopefully we can read some info soon :D
Jamie