Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Kevin Cymru
Egg

Post by Kevin Cymru » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:46 pm

Hello everyone

My name is Kevin and I live in west Wales.

I had a colony of acromyrmex for about 6 years (purchased off Andrew). These were purchased when I lived in Hertfordshire but were transported to Wales where I now live.
The morning after transporting them to Wales, the colony decided to have a nuptial flight and the room was covered with winged ants !!
Unfortunately the colony died out several years ago and I have the empty tank in the shed- waiting for another colony maybe !!??

I look forward to sharing information and learning about your set ups.

Regards

Kevin

Britishants.com
Worker

Re: New Member

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Welcome Kevin!
What ever you where doing it sounds like it worked out well! How did you heat the tank?
Sean

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello Kevin, great to have you aboard, this is a great place for leafcutter mad people, are you thinking of going again soon with a colony? You have came at the perfect time if you do as Andrew is on route back shortly with loads of colonys.
jamie

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 am

Hi Kevin, nice to see you here. Writing to you from the rainforest, literally sitting on a butress root in the bush writing this on my tablet. Please take part in the conversations and share your experience of keeping LCA'S. I think everyone will enjoy hearing about your nuptial flight. Anyway, a warm welcome. Andrew

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:40 am

Welcome to the family of LCA :)

Kevin Cymru
Egg

Post by Kevin Cymru » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Dear All thank you for your welcome.

I am finding myself spending a lot of time on the leaf cutting ant site thinking it would be great to have another colony.
Unfortunately other priorities at the moment but maybe in a couple of years it would be nice to obtain another colony.

My set up was a purpose built 2x2ft tank with a moat around the top. Heating and humidity was supplied by two fish tank heaters in two containers of water positioned on a glass shelf in the tank.
The tank was partly filled with soil for the ants and a tube led from the tank to a smaller container where the ants were fed. The opening of the tank was normally covered by polystyrene sheets which kept in the humidity and heat.

Unfortunately i do not seem to have many photos - but if I do find any I will post them.

Andrew best wishes on your latest trip and I will forward some detail on the nuptial flight on my next post.

Regards

Kevin