Hello, from Jakarta Indonesia

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
indoant
Egg

Hello, from Jakarta Indonesia

Post by indoant » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 am

Hi guys,

I'm still new in keeping ants, originally from Sydney OZ, but currently staying in Indonesia for a short period of time.
My ant hobby started since I resided in Indonesia.

I started with Odontoponera tranversa because there are so many of them around the house, yes those were the first hard words I had to memorize 'Odontoponera transversa' that words are just so cryptic for my simple brain, took me ages to memorize, had to recall over and over again.

While looking after my daughter in the yard, I looked up a mango tree, I saw a ball of leaf with some red ants around it, I decided to disturbed it, just out of curiosity, that was a dumb thing to do, hundreds of red ants came out
These ants were so fast, they crawl everywhere and even bite, so peoples if you see a red ball of leaf on a tree in Asia, leave it alone!
Anyway that was the second hardest word I had to memorize 'Oecophylla smaragdina' such a beautiful ants, the make cool bridges.

So if you answer is NO to the following questions:
Is one ant species enough?
Is one queen enough?
Is one test tube enough?

Then you're an ant addict like me.
Please note, answering NO to the above questions will lead to many formicariums and extreme enjoyment.
You have been warned!
I believed I'm in the right place.

Currently keeping:
Odontoponera transversa
Odontomachus sp 'black'
Oecophylla smaragdina 'Asian'
Camponotus festinus
Coptotermes gestroi
Some other unidentified species
Last edited by indoant on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Hello, from Jakarta Indonesia

Post by Formica123 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:06 am

Nice to have you here, I've seen you on other forums, you have a nice collection
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:16 am

Hello and really nice to have you aboard. Very interesting collection you have. Andrew who will introduce himself shortly is actually off to Australia next year to collect ants,
Jamie

indoant
Egg

Post by indoant » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Formica123, I actually stumbled across this forum from your website, as I was googling for some ant species.
Thank you for directing me to this forum.

Thank you for the welcome guys!
Last edited by indoant on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

indoant
Egg

Post by indoant » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:57 am

@Formica123 I love your Weaver Ant Acrylic Nest, I love to see it with Oecophylla smaragdina in it!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am

@indioant - glad you found it through my website :) It means some people actually bother looking on the links page, lol.
I'll be doing a giveaway for the weaver ant nest next year

indoant
Egg

Post by indoant » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 am

@Formica123, My current Oecophylla smaragdina queens still very stressed, keeps eating her eggs, these are the wild caught. Once I have a stable queen with broods, I'll send them to you.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:58 am

Wow, that's really appreciated. Thank you pal. If you do send one, I'll send you some test tubes or something in return :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Indoant, fantastic to have you here. A forum like this needs people like you at its core. Great that you were not put off by this being a Leaf Cutting Ant forum because a love for one type of ant is actually a love for all. It seems I will be travelling quite a lot around your part of the world next year. I love the fact that you seem to have stumbled on this as a hobby and then ended up living in a place where there are spectacular species to keep. People with the same epiphany in the UK are stuck with Lasius niger or buying overseas. Leaf Cutting Ants are not currently allowed in Indonesia but we are active on this forum and will look to see what can be done about that. Please contribute here and learn. We have an off topic area where your contributions about other species will be welcome and most interesting. You are helping to turn this forum into a genuinely world wide enterprise. I think you will find this place very interesting. So a warm welcome to you and your ants!!