Hello from The Bug Farm!

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
BugFarm
Egg

Hello from The Bug Farm!

Post by BugFarm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:54 am

Hello All,

I'm an invertebrate ecologist and have recently opened Dr Beynon's Bug Farm (or The Bug Farm) as a agro-ecology research centre and visitor attraction in St Davids, West Wales. We currently have a tropical invertebrate zoo as our main attraction, with lots more plans for spring 2016, including an invertebrate museum and a native invertebrate house. We are also the home of Grub Kitchen, where we serve insects on the menu full time alongside more conventional dishes!

Andrew supplied us with an Atta colony in August, for display in the tropical invertebrate zoo. This is the first time I have kept ants, so it's all a big learning curve. The Bug Farm team are thoroughly enjoying the process and want to ensure that we do all we can to give our ants the best conditions possible. We have a number of questions already, so will post them on the relevant pages.

Sarah.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Hello from The Bug Farm!

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Sarah, its great you have joined up, very friendly bunch on here. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new colony and set up plus grub kitchen, sounds interesting! lol

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Sarah, hi. Fantastic to have you on board. I know you are insanely busy. As well as the husbandry stuff here I am trying to build up the researchers section. It will take time but eventually I hope there will be enough to attract those with an academic interest in Leaf Cutters. In the new year I am spending a year writing my PhD thesis and have started to put together all of the information I have for this. So over that time the level and depth of material available on this site should increase significantly. It is great that you have announced yourself, I thought that was you. Andrew

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello Sarah, nice to see you here and I will look forward to hearing/seeing more from you and about your projects. I'm a botanist predominantly, but entomology is my second passion and I've become quite hooked on our Acromyrmex colony here at Anglia Ruskin Uni in Cambridge. This is a great site and a great place to discuss research ideas and anything else quite honestly! See you around.