hello from west sussex uk

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
theboyw
Larva

hello from west sussex uk

Post by theboyw » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:41 pm

It all started about 20 years ago when I managed to buy a colony of octospinosis from a local reptile shop, i'm assuming this came from Andrew? I managed to keep the colony goung for around 6 years when unfortunately I had to give to a friend as work commitments to me around the country, I always said I would get another colony, I have looked from time to time but was never able to track one down and I did get in contact with Andrew a few times but he never had anything available at the right time, this year I brought a colony from the spider shop but the 1st colony they sent died within a week it was a very young colony and not very established. they sent me another one which I paid cost for and that one was more established and took off very well, the fungus got to the size of a tennis ball then disaster struck a small daisy from some flowers that were brought from the supermarket found it's way onto the feeding table and within a week the fungus was gone and I thought all the ants were dead, I started going through all the soil and to my amazement I found the queen alive with some minors, and another stroke of luck Andrew contacted me regarding the forum which I didn't no existed, I told him about the bad luck and he told me all is not lost, he's kindly sent me some fungus with a brood which have been paired up today so fingers crossed the queen will pull through and I can once again have a thriving colony.
i already have plans in my head for a large set up later this year when i move, either a very large man cave or a double garage, i'm thinking weather a green house within a garage would work?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: hello from west sussex uk

Post by Formica123 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Interesting story, welcome to the forum!
Is that from thespidershop.co.uk ?
I looked in their site and couldn't find any ants.

Pictures of your colony would be appreciated :)
Andrews a good help hopefully your colony does well again now!
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi, as Formica said that was interesting to read, hopefully your colony will get back on track now. Looking forward to seeing your set up and future designs for your man cave! Lol

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:04 pm

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:20 pm

pic was taken while I was placing a new bridge from the nest to feeding platform..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Very nice. Is it open topped? Does the nest tank have a lid. There seems no condensation on the tank glass. Question humidity levels?
Nice layout. Looks great.

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:31 pm

yes indeed , there is a half lid on the nest and a full lid on the aquarium only taken off so I could fit new bridge. humidity stays at 90%-95%

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Welcome! great to have a neighbour in here! :)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Absolutely fantastic setup. Do you have any recent close ups of the fungus and queen?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Looks great, is that's juwel vision?
Do you get much in the way of drips from the aquarium lid?