Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
PsyAnt
Larva

Re: Hello

Post by PsyAnt » Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 pm

I see that is way cooler because the water for me just seems a bit hard if the queen or other ants decide to venture. Does the heat matt provide enough heat? As probably you have vents on the box or so isnt it? And how can it have loads of air circulantion if its on a sealed box ? Thank you for your time, just seems a better option than heating water and tubs inside. I really like how your setup looks like.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Andy, your colony looks great. One of the bigger Acros around for sure.
Time to swap for an Atta?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

No where to get them or i may consider it, after July.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 pm

the attas queen is amazing, so are the majors another dream colony :P

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 pm

I had them once but they only lasted a month. I think they were poisoned as they all died suddenly. I was on holiday and my niece looked after them..last time ill ask her again lol..

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 am

Wow thats crazy.. sorry to hear that. Maybe one day you can get them again. I dont think i would have the skills for it. Well so far my fungus is growing and the ants keep cutting leaves a lot so its all a good sign. The only issue im having is every couple of hours i find the workers drowning.. saving them all but need to find a better solition to this instead of water..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon May 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Andy, no barrier now to keeping Atta! Got one here for you!
Alternative to water would be Fluon or an ant proof housing unit. Water works best though because it also humidifies. Sounds good, your colony seems to be making it.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue May 29, 2018 11:53 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Andy, no barrier now to keeping Atta! Got one here for you!
Very tempting Andrew but just don't have room in the Buggery so it wouldnt be fair on them...DOH !!!!

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm

The fungus is now double in size of what it was in days so i think its going really well, the only issue is the workers falling the the water :D would a water filter cause to much vibrations on the setup? Or would it be ok so wouldnt have stagnant water?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 30, 2018 6:08 pm

That's great news Nick so well done :) The water is a problem and that's why i didnt fancy going down that road. All i can suggest really is to give them something with more grip to walk on ie the bridge but i can appreciate there could be problems with grip on the plastic box. I think changing the water manually is probably an easier option with the size of your tank.
PsyAnt wrote:I see that is way cooler because the water for me just seems a bit hard if the queen or other ants decide to venture. Does the heat matt provide enough heat? As probably you have vents on the box or so isnt it? And how can it have loads of air circulantion if its on a sealed box ? Thank you for your time, just seems a better option than heating water and tubs inside. I really like how your setup looks like.
The box is insulated and heated easily with a 30 watt heat mat on a pulse thermostat. Like yours my house is cold and i have no problems keeping the temps up. Also being insulated it keeps the heat out so doesn't over heat, only slightly once. There is air flow via the forage tank underneath. The "incubator isn't a 100% sealed, not with my DIY anyway lol..