Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Andyj » Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Exciting stuff. I would suggest to make a small hole in the tub and put it near to the original ants. If they get on they may decide to move into the tub which will be easier to transfer to something larger as it grows. Good luck and fingers crossed for you and the ants

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm

I left all day and they mooved all the fungus to the big tub :D dont see no bad reactions so far but ill give some time, the main fungus where the queen was was looking all dark green and seemed better contructed and for a day or so seemed way better. Hopefully im not talking too soon but wil post updates and thank you. What species do you Keep ?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 pm

The dark green is where the ants have added to the fungus so all seems good, well done Nick. I take it then that they have moved all the fungus from the tube to the tub ?

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sat May 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Yeah in my opinion i hope its good news, the new fungus the workers moved it into the tub but its not near the old one so dunno if that was a fail :D they set it on the clay balls that i have now instead of the coco husk. So they are all together but separated in the same tub definitely they must of seen each other but didn't see so agression so far will poor visibility due to the lid being white, when i make a diffrent setup i will make it so its visible, for now just rooting it to work. But temp and humidity seem to stable with slight variatons from 23 to 26

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 am

Mine have several balls of fungus in there nest area. They don't always make just on big one. So don't worry about it not being part of the other. Temps are in range, although stability is preferred, shouldn't bother them. Clay balls worked well for me. Think you have cracked it. Just keep a close eye on it.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 am

Thats good then, i think the water aquarium heater switches off and only activates at lower temp is there any way to make the temps more stable? Altho they seem fine so far. Yeah i really hope all goes fine and i can see them thrive and get to plan my next setup when they need a moove

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun May 20, 2018 9:37 am

You could just by an aquarium water heater without a stat and plug the heater into a pulse thermostat. Habistat sell them.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sun May 20, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you ill be investing on that soon. Is it possible to heat the tank with clay balls without having water around it? Saved 2 worker ants today nearly drowning, altho the outworld probably would have water.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 pm

This is why i went down the incubator method. I didn't fancy finding my queen drowned. So my nest is in a heated box. It's changed a bit since this picture but you get the drift. It's insulated, and has a perspex window and heated with a heat mat.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon May 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Before you buy a pulse thermostat, just make sure what heaters you can use them with. I'm using mine to control a mat. I am not sure if they are safe with Aquarium heaters.