Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Ok i got them :), my pc seems to be going really slow tonight so pls bare with me

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Normally with this set up the lid is off or at least loose which will allow the humidity in the tank into the box but it looks like you have a vent on the side allowing airflow so thats fine. At least the queen wont take a swim. You could try covering the tank with a piece of glass to raise the humidity but keep an eye on condensation in the tube.

Try and use leaves with stalks. If you pick 4 or 5 leaves and rap the stems in some wet kitchen roll, the leaves will keep longer. I find that as soon as the laves begin to get limp the ants loose interest. Or stand them in a small pot of water. Block the opening with cotton wool to stop the ants drowning.

IMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5201.jpg
IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5130.jpg
A997033F-D39B-4C10-8197-9BE32339DA6F.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Here's how you can make the leaves stay fresher. Just rap some kitchen roll around the stem and secure with an elastic band and soak the towel in some water. Then just lay it down, it should last a day at least without curling up or going limp.
IMG_20180516_225402.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 am

Glad you got them, yeah my lid ( white one) is not really plaved tight it is just sitting on top of the tub. The vent allows workers to go forage aswell with a tube reaching the floor of the tub, i could add something on top of it if its better. I shall do that that seems a great idea for the leaves staying fresh i eill do that today. Temperature and humidity seems pretty ok, temp dropping sometimes to 22c is that bad?

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 7:31 am

Do you wash the leaves to take any little bugs or so? And i got a privet plant from dobbies, contacted them by email and they assured me that precise plant wasn't sprayed with chemicals harmful for insects on theyr nursery so shoukd be fine to provide them to my ants fresh? Ligustrum ovalifolium common privet

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 am

I can't quite see how your measuring the stats in the fungus pot, but you will need a thermo/humidity meter with a probe but getting that inside the test tube is impractical. You need that tempreture up to 25c in the fungus pot. Also having a small set up like this is not so easy to keep everything stable but not impossibe

I don't wash the leaves. If your happy that your privet is free of any insecticides than that's your choice. Personally i would be getting it elsewhere for at least a year.

With privet, use a stalk with leaves on not individual eaves and treat them the same way as above in kitchen roll.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

Its not on the pics but i have a thermometer and a hygrometer in the tub that do the measures, temp variates from 22 to 24c and the humidity is 85. Should i remove the fungus from the test tube and place it in the white tub? With clay balls?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am

I think the humidity in the test tube is probably a bit higher. Andrew needs to see your set up for advice before going any further.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

Would that be a problem? Being hight? As i found here that should be at least 80. Yeah need better guidance i can send you a video but thro email dunno if its going to be sent.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

Should be at least 90%. At the moment its thriving so maybe best to leave it. I would be inclined to try and make the leaves more tempting as they look limp and dry. You could try the video or post it on your face book page and link it here. Im at work now do stuck until i get home to deal with that.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk