Salutations... again

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Salutations... again

Post by Formica123 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:14 pm

As long as there is a skimmer on the tank or a flowing pump in action it should be fine.
It doesn't bother them in the wild. You wouldn't use very tropical fish,it would be something like goldfish or guppies.
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:48 pm

Okay, seems like a strange part of the forum to be having this conversation but still.....
I always advise against fish in moats or in water where the ants can reach. The problem is not the rubbish which gets chucked into the water. As Marco says this can be cleaned with filtration. The problem is the ants. When an ant falls into the water, as they will inevitably do, the fish will try to eat them. When the ant is grabbed by the fish it immediately does what leaf cutters do in these situations, it grabs the fish. Normally in the soft part of the fishes mouth. And then the ant dies, drowned. But it does not let go after death. And the fish cannot get it off. So the fish dies also. I have seen many fish dies with ants stuck in their mouths. And eventually it gets them all. Best advice, dont do it or do it with fish that the ants cant get to.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Haha if you were going to have fish it would have to be a bottom dweller such as a Kuli roach or even an albino African dwarf frog they're always cool

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am

(This is tongue-in-cheek-humor)..... what about some Archer fish, they would be wicked in controling the population on Leaf cutters, or Butterfly fish.

Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:14 am

I watched that whole blasted Butterfly fish film convinced that no one would keep two butterfly fish and one zebra danio together other than of the butterfly fish was going to eat the danio. On the edge of my seat I was. What a let down. Thats 2 minutes of my life I will never get back!! :|

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:27 am

Hahaha,Mobutu still an interesting video

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Haha Antkit your response was great! Archer fish will always have a place in my heart. but I wasn't actually considering doing an ant fish setup just curious to see if it could be done lol. Sorry Andrew i didn't mean to turn it into a proper topic :oops:

Im having enough trouble keeping the stuff I already have lol the last thing I need is fish!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 am

Hi Jack, nice to meet you, I'm new here, but have been looking after our A. octospinosus colony for the last 4 years here at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge....the colony is actually 11 years old!! If I can be of any help, with anything, please do get in touch. I absolutely love our ants!

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Ah yes Thankyou for replying. I need all the help I can get lol and congratulations on your colony's success especially with that indoor nuptial flight! That made me laugh must have been great to see it!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:35 am

Yes it was, but there was a part of me that was really panicking with so many ants out in the lab....I'm sure I didn't get them ALL back!!