Food for the winter months?

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
acro-attaman
Larva

Food for the winter months?

Post by acro-attaman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi
Just about to start moving my Acromyrmex into their final home - a new fully insulated shed and starting to think about winter food supplies. Whilst browsing for tanks to add to my new set up came accross this:
http://www.reptilecentre.com/prorep-jel ... -Ei5K2ytds
Would it be a safe food to have as a winter backup when food from the garden becomes scarce?

Deansie26
Major

Re: Food for the winter months?

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:31 am

Organic quinoa has been a massive hit with mine.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Personally i wouldn't try something like reptile or beetle jellies only because there are other more realistic and cheaper options available.

After a poor first trial mine too are very eager to take Quinoa. Also for the winter Birds Eye frozen peas which were boiled first, very eagerly taken and Tesco's peeled and washed sprouts. Ive also tried frozen bramble leaves which although don't look very nice as they turn brown are a defo favourite once thawed which only takes a few minutes. And of course apple. I'm sorted for the winter. :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Will need to try the boiled peas Andy! Hope they like them as much as quinoa, will be sorted over the winter. My Atta won't entertain apple which is funny, maybe they require less moisture laden foods such as quinoa.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:05 pm

The pea's should be fine just de frosted but they were left overs off my plate. I worry about shop bought produce so i will always mention the brand name. I bought some Tesco's ORGANIC KALE but in the small print it stated that it contained small amounts of fertiliser and insecticides so it all went in the bin. So much for Organic.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Dont buy anything prepacked. Its not necessary. Loads of options now. Another one to try. Tescos Broth Mix, lots of stuff in there. I suspect that you will need to offer a grape or two at the same time since these are very dry foods.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll give everything a try! Their biggest loves at the moment are chard and courgette flowers and although I'm going to grow some chard for them in the greenhouse over winter, I like to be able to offer plenty of alternatives. I did try flaked almonds last year (as suggested on here), but mine didn't take to the almonds at all.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 pm

It's probably already been mentioned but if not.. porridge oats... I only just started providing oats in the last week or so and my ants go mad for them. I now keep a bag of oats by the tank and when I'm showing people the colony I'll drop a handful in.. they take them immediately.. and they make quite a dramatic sight as they traverse the clear piping.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Finely chopped red cabbage, savoy (whole leaves) broccoli privet and aucuba are a main stay for my lot! :D

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:30 pm

RichardP wrote:It's probably already been mentioned but if not.. porridge oats... I only just started providing oats in the last week or so and my ants go mad for them. I now keep a bag of oats by the tank and when I'm showing people the colony I'll drop a handful in.. they take them immediately.. and they make quite a dramatic sight as they traverse the clear piping.
On the basis that I personally think the ants will favour one food over another based on the level of moisture content in the food among other factors, I suspect a colony that does not feed on flaked almonds will also not feed on porridge oats. I think this indicates that the colony is a little dry and needs more humidity.