Garden rose with Black spot disease

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Deansie26
Major

Garden rose with Black spot disease

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

Last year roses/ rose leaf was a firm favourite for both Acromyrmex and Atta colonies that I had. This year though my roses have been struck by black spot disease which was annoying and not instantly diagnosed as I'm new to the gardening world.
Black spot disease

Someone who I believe did discover this was the ants, neither will touch a leave or flower that has come from an infected plant. I've found its not only infected leaves they won't take but also fresh green leaves that don't yet have the spots bit are part of an infected plant. This makes me think they can detect the condition and avoid it, amazing.
Fancy a forum field study?? Members currently feeding rose could try a plant infected with black spot disease that and post on there results, would be interesting to have it confirmed here.

Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Garden rose with Black spot disease

Post by Andyj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:09 am

Interesting Jamie. A bit like spaniels that can detect cancers in people before it's diagnosed. My ants aren't very enthusiastic toward rose leaves, but love the petals. I can't see any black spot on the rose bushes i lean over the fence to pinch but i will try and find a likely bush to try.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:22 pm

That would be great Andy, hope you see some kicking about. You see loads when you start looking at rose bushes for it.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Interesting stuff Jamie, I will also give it a go....I do believe the ants can detect easily what is good and not good for them.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Jackie62 wrote:Interesting stuff Jamie, I will also give it a go....I do believe the ants can detect easily what is good and not good for them.
Thanks Jackie, would be great if you could try, hopefully it proves they do and not mine are fussy this year.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Well sorry but mine are happily taking the petals and have cut a piece out of a leaf with black spot too.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Unless the black spot harbours anything that may affect the fungus that the ants are farming, I cannot imagine they are screening leaves to this detail. I would think it would all go the same way, all fungus food.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Oh well there goes my theory!! :evil: I wonder why mine will no longer touch them. My Acromyrmex are being particularly fussy at the moment.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:25 pm

Not sure if this is black spot but theyr'e cutting it.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:06 pm

I'll give it a go tomorrow, just in case!!