Finally met Gerhard Kalytta

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Finally met Gerhard Kalytta

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:08 pm

So landed in Frankfurters and met Gerhard in the airport. Unfortunately he does not speak English and I don't speak German. However the stand out moment of our meeting was when he pulled out a microscope and took an ant out of one of the colonies and stood, in the middle of the airport examining the ant under the microscope!!! Fantastic. I need to get one. He said he was checking for mites. I am impressed. Never happened to me before. I like it!!!
Meeting Kevin Kobe in Frankfurters with more colonies tomorrow at 16:00. Another first.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Finally met Gerhard Kalytta

Post by Formica123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:04 am

Wow! Very lucky :o did you see his shop?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:38 am

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

lol yeah i've read about this before.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:50 pm

First time I've seen that, interesting.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:58 pm

The fact that you are delivering colonies to Kevin Kolbe explains the reason why he had pre-orders for Acroymyrmex on his site!:
New colonies with sufficient fungal and more than 100 workers - pre-order today!
Pre-ordering livestock is not a good idea.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Leafcutter wrote:The fact that you are delivering colonies to Kevin Kolbe explains the reason why he had pre-orders for Acroymyrmex on his site!:
New colonies with sufficient fungal and more than 100 workers - pre-order today!
Pre-ordering livestock is not a good idea.
What's his site?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 am

Antdealer.com of course.

Atta cephalotes (2019)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Read that about Gerhard a while ago. I think there is little difference between selling ants that someone else has sent into the country illegally, like the chinese sellers and other asian exporters who supply many of the european resellers, and someone who goes out to a country and collects these themselves illegally. At the end of the day the task is to stop all illegal collecting and supply, illegal imports without paperwork etc. By buying their leafcutters from me, these sellers can rightly advertise ants with paperwork. The more I can sell into these markets, the more ethical the marketplace becomes.

Kevin Kolbe is a really nice guy. Had a fantastic meeting with him. Hopefully the start of a really great relationship with Kevin and Gerhard. Frankfurt was amazing as well. Really enjoyed my time there.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Read that about Gerhard a while ago. I think there is little difference between selling ants that someone else has sent into the country illegally, like the chinese sellers and other asian exporters who supply many of the european resellers, and someone who goes out to a country and collects these themselves illegally. At the end of the day the task is to stop all illegal collecting and supply, illegal imports without paperwork etc. By buying their leafcutters from me, these sellers can rightly advertise ants with paperwork. The more I can sell into these markets, the more ethical the marketplace becomes.

Kevin Kolbe is a really nice guy. Had a fantastic meeting with him. Hopefully the start of a really great relationship with Kevin and Gerhard. Frankfurt was amazing as well. Really enjoyed my time there.
I assume Kevin is fluent in English? Mr Kalytta is on par with AntKit as being the best ant supplier out there in my personal opinion. Of course Andrew is the best Leafcutting ant supplier.

Atta cephalotes (2019)