My queen atta and workers been wired

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Atta solider
Worker

My queen atta and workers been wired

Post by Atta solider » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi all I was been watch my colony for pass 2hrs watching what they was doing in one of the chambers it was the queen in it and I saw her bum it looked bigger then it use is as there so many small workers around the chamber and there is 2 soliders are each side they not moved since I've sat watched them I've been taking to Jamie he's one that told me put it hear so fort I will I was wondering is she at her point laying so many eggs like a queen honey bee at April she lays 2,000 eggs a day

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: My queen atta and workers been wired

Post by Leafcutter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:26 pm

If her gaster is large, it's likely she's undergone physogastricism.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Leafcutter wrote:If her gaster is large, it's likely she's undergone physogastricism.
I think you mean Physogastrism, not normally applied to Queen Atta. They show only moderate Physogastrism, even in very large colonies.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Oh right okay am still confused like no like other queens ants how they get big full of eggs I was just wondering that's all as the workers all over her like not been like that before just for ask that's all

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Had to google that, everydays a learning day!

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:21 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:
Leafcutter wrote:If her gaster is large, it's likely she's undergone physogastricism.
I think you mean Physogastrism, not normally applied to Queen Atta. They show only moderate Physogastrism, even in very large colonies.
That's odd, must have typed that before and autocorrect must have stored it lol oops.

Atta cephalotes (2019)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:25 am

Normally the workers do that when they feel threatened. Possibly not the case when you were watching them unless you had disturbed them and they had reacted. Or perhaps the queen was in the process of laying a batch of eggs and her attendant workers were there. Either way, nothing to worry about, things seem good.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:30 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Normally the workers do that when they feel threatened. Possibly not the case when you were watching them unless you had disturbed them and they had reacted. Or perhaps the queen was in the process of laying a batch of eggs and her attendant workers were there. Either way, nothing to worry about, things seem good.
What could be another reason for increase in gaster size other than Physogastrism in a healthy colony? Would be interested to find out why, apart from the obvious food reasons.

Atta cephalotes (2019)