Problem with atta not growing

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Deansie26
Major

Re: Problem with atta not growing

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 pm

MartinD
Pupa

Post by MartinD » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:54 am

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/mjdac ... r.jpg.html

Forgot to mentionI keep them in this closed cupboard so area inside is heated, so no extreme heat changes, hence maybe why no visual condensation. Deansie - if you look in the previous pictures, i have added a pile of soil under their tub, which hasn't really changed things, they havent moved fungus or or around it. If anything they have moved soul outside tub. Strange situation!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:22 am

Wouldn't worry about infrared rays, do you heat from underneath or on the side? Sorry if you have said already.

MartinD
Pupa

Post by MartinD » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:51 am

I heat from the side, would you suggest trying underneath?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:13 am

MartinD wrote:I heat from the side, would you suggest trying underneath?
Have you read Magic's journal? The last two pages talk about heat and may be helpful. http://www.leafcuttingants.com/www.leaf ... f=13&t=570

Where do you take the temperature in the set up Martin? On the tile?
I think this problem can be fixed quite quickly :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:33 am

Managed to get a moment to get on the lap top and look at your photos Martin as its hard on the mobile. I see your fridge thermometer :) stuck with tape at the front, If this is reading 25 degrees I'd be surprised if that was the temperature on the tile as the heat will be coming from the mat and going straight to the top of your cupboard. I bet there is a big gradient if you check the temperature at the bottom and top of the cupboard.
Id move the heat mat and get the heat coming from below.
What is the grey plate thing the ant enclosure is sat on? Can the heat mats go under this then place the probe on the grey plate outside the enclosure? If this was set to 25 degrees you would be there or there abouts in the fungus garden and your humidity should Improve. Add a small amount of soil in again and then give it a week or so and see if things improve.
You may get misting now but as long as its not major and threatening to drip I wouldn't worry, this can be solved also once things are going better.

Place your thermometer on the grey plate also to ensure your stat is accurate as they do stray over time.

MartinD
Pupa

Post by MartinD » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

thanks Deansie, I have a couple of thermometers in the setup, but you make good point. Will move the heat mat under the setup and warm from underneath - see if that improves things. Also going to get some more fabric to help further block sun entering cupboard, see if bit darker set up helps. Will implement at the weekend and let you know how I get on. Thanks. The grey thing is just a piece of foam to limit vibrations and insulate a bit. I'll take new pictures once I have tweaked things.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Cool, obviously don't put the mat under the foam, sure you know that but just incase. Whatever you do it's a good idea not to have the set up sat directly on the mat, personal opinion anyway.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Why don't you just use an aquarium setup?
It's cheap and easy and guaranteed to work
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

MartinD
Pupa

Post by MartinD » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:37 am

Ok, couldn't wait till weekend, made changes last night and within 20 mins had my first condensation. I moved the heat mat under the setup, but the ant setup is now lon 'legs' so heat mat can 'breath' (heat can escape and wont over heat) tile under ants now getting nice and warm. Had to raise this up a little on 'legs' too because it was getting a little too warm. Only problem now is tile and soil drying out during day when i'm at work, but I saturated surroundings of it this morning. I guess even if tile dries out, moisture will still be captured and maintain in the ant nest tub. Will try and upload pic tonight and give update.