Population Control - Atta - home set up

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Deansie26
Major

Re: Population Control - Atta - home set up

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Is a nice idea but I doubt many folk would want a fungus boost as they grow fast as it is. If you know where the queen is I like the idea of just emptying a pod right into a bag and freezing it, will be my preferred control rather than limiting leaves if I ever have to, I must be heartless lol.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 pm

What I've found that helps slow colonys growth is having as much distance between the foraging table and gardens as possible, these very small traveling distances that we sometimes use just accelerate growth.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:00 pm

RichardP wrote:
Britishants.com wrote:Here's a thought! If you grow your fungus in pods and the colony are becoming unmanageable, assuming you know where the Queen is, would it not be better to detach a pod of fungus from the unit and open the lid! By default/evolution all the soldiers will run out/at you making them easier to isolate. the fungus and minimums can then be offered to boost other leaf freaks set up! The remaining ants/soldiers can be turfed in to the original container. It would ensure a steady population control without killing the poor buggers! I'm with Uncle Bob on his rant!
Thanks, that's an interesting idea.

I wouldn't really be in a position to be supplying fungus and ants to other "leaf freaks" though I don't think.!
I'd buy it off you! The German an shops sell it separate :D

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Britishants.com wrote:I'd buy it off you! The German an shops sell it separate :D
I don't think I'd be set up for that sort of thing tbh... what with packing and shipping and all that.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:46 pm

This brings me to an interesting point. (Not quite, but almost a rant) It is not possible to post fungus from south america and have it survive. So what happens when people want to send small colonies or queens illegally is that they invariably arrive with no fungus and I get contact very regularly and asked to send fungus for them. I always refuse. The hobby gets a bad name when either unmated queens or queens that have yet to start a fungus garden and are collected following a nuptial flight are sold as colonies with fungus from a mature colony. Denying anyone access to spare fungus prevents newcomers to the hobby being sold non viable colonies and then losing interest as a result. I will talk to martin at Antstore, I wasnt aware he was doing this. Perhaps he hasnt thought this through. It is fine to send fungus to someone who you know genuinely needs it to recover a viable colony in difficulty but I would never send fungus to an unknown customer. My advice is to destroy excess fungus which has been removed as population control to prevent this.