This is a sure way to stop your Atta colony getting too big.

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

This is a sure way to stop your Atta colony getting too big.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Amdro® was originally designed for fire ants, but with the addition of sugars, has become somewhat attractive to leaf-cutting ants. The bait is easily applied by mechanical spreader or by hand (wearing gloves) to the central nest area. Applications can be made in all seasons, but treatments should be postponed during periods of prolonged rain or freezing weather. Once the bait is applied, foraging ants search out the pellets and carry them underground. The first signs of control will be a reduction in foraging and excavation activity usually within 5 - 7 days after bait application. These activities will gradually stop and the colony will become inactive within 2 to 3 weeks.

Amdro leaf-cutting ant baitAmdro® Ant Block is very safe to use. However, it has not proven to be as effective as methyl bromide or other baits in completely halting activity in leaf-cutting ant colonies. Only 3 of 10 colonies were killed with a single Amdro® bait application in a recent study by the Forest Pest Management Cooperative (D. Grosman, unpublished data). On the other hand, the activity of nearly all treated colonies was markedly reduced for several weeks. Although the worker ant activity of many colonies often recovers to a certain extent after 6 – 8 weeks, the activity almost never recovers to pretreatment levels. This suggests that the bait was effective in killing one or more queens and reduced the potential impact of colonies on crops or ornamentals.

(Taken from http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/popup.aspx?id=1187)

Deansie26
Major

Re: This is a sure way to stop your Atta colony getting too

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Spawn of the devil :twisted:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Some nights, when I really cant be bothered, I often wish I had a can of that when I am faced with 100 or so colonies to feed and check! :o

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:33 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Some nights, when I really cant be bothered, I often wish I had a can of that when I am faced with 100 or so colonies to feed and check! :o
You definitely need some help with that ;)