Glass?

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Docxx
Site Admin

Glass?

Post by Docxx » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm planning on building my own Atta Setup out of glass. I've mastered building enclosures for my other inverts including drilling holes and using silicone to fix it all together but I usually get my local glass cutter to cut the glass to the sizes I want. I'm currently teaching myself to cut the glass to size myself, I'm using spare glass I have and free stuff I find on gumtree.

I'm wondering if anyone had advice for the best/cheapest place to buy glass sheets from. I've tried glass wholesale places and Ebay but the shipping costs are crazy. The most cost effective way so far is to buy sheets from my glasscutter.

I'm wondering if anyone had a cheaper solution?

Thanks

Docxx
Site Admin

Re: Glass?

Post by Docxx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:33 am

Nevermind, got some quotes from a local glazier and they gonna let me have their cast-offs and a decent price on glass :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Glass?

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi, glass is expensive. Asking glaziers can work. General rule of thumb, from years of experience, is that the bigger the factory, the more likely you are to get the glass for next to nothing if you explain what its for. Small glaziers tend to value every scrap by the square foot, big factories tend to see their offcuts as skip bait!