Plans for 2018

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Plans for 2018

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am

So Paraguay is booked and definitely happening from 20th September to beginning of October. Was surfing for air fares and a really low one came up which I immediately snapped up! Hopefully the permits will come through by then! That will be at least 10-12 new species, including Grass Cutters.
But I have been asked to go to Cuba to help with a set up in Havanna late October. Species that occue there of interest are Atta cubana and Atta insularis. I have started the permit process for there and cant report any likely timeline but heres hoping that I can get some colonies of these back by end of year.
I am trying to arrange a supply of Acromyrmex versicolor and Atta texana and if everything goes according to plan, these colonies should be available around July / August. Dont know how that will work, again its down to paperwork.
Finally, my trip to Guyana, which resulted in no colonies because of permit issues, looks like being of use as a fact finding mission. I am now told that I can obtain a permit there and so I am looking at going to Guyana near the end of the year. This trip could yield Atta sexdens, Atta laevigata, Acromyrmex coronatus and Acromyrmex landolti. Certainly Atta sexdens and Acromyrmex landolti were present in the area I checked in very good numbers, however because the substrate there is sand they were very deep and would take a while to dig.
As well as all of that I have the reliable, usual supplies of Acromyrmex octospinosus and Atta cephalotes coming in every couple of months. Next arrival is in 3 weeks.
So, even if more than half of the species I have listed above arrive this year, it will be a ground breaking year for species availability around Europe. Remember that, once the first nests arrive, these species will be available from then on. The way my supplies work is that, when it is set up, it will be a regular supply. This time next year a lot of different species of Leaf Cutter could be kept that have not been available before.

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: Plans for 2018

Post by Leafcutter » Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am

Fantastic! Exciting times ahead for sure!

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)