New Species for 2016

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

New Species for 2016

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 am

I am planning a South American trip in May or June 2016 with a view to bringing back the following species:-

Atta sexdens
Atta capiguara
Atta saltensis
Atta laevigata
Atta vollenweideri
Acromyrmex ambiguus
Acromyrmex balzani
Acromyrmex coronatus
Acromyrmex disciger
Acromyrmex heyeri
Acromyrmex lundi
Acromyrmex niger
Acromyrmex pubescens
Acromyrmex rugosus
Acromyrmex fracticornis

Just interested in whether you think having a diverse species list for sale actually matters. I have always kept A cephalotes and Acromyrmex octospinosis because it has not made any difference to customers which species they have on display, they are just glad to get a colony. But I have increasingly felt that having other types would be good for variation or maybe selling to people who have already got one of the two species I have traditionally stocked. So tell me what you think and also if any of the above stand out as particularly desirable. Overall numbers of colonies will be restricted by the box they will be carried in so I am also looking for input regarding what species, if any, i should favour for numbers. I am intersted, myself, in the grass cutting species such as vollenweideri because I think they will be much easier to maintain over winter and look great carrying grass.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: New Species for 2016

Post by Formica123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I would like sexdens, the grass cutters and if you can get any Acromyrmex carassipinius
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:45 pm

I'd be interested in a different Atta species, would be good to record findings on the different species.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:39 pm

I think its a really nice idea to be able to stock different species but its more for purists and unless its cost effective to collect from there I don't think it adds much value. If folk want leafcutter ants in the UK they wont care about this. The grass cutting species may be the only one I personally think as you said its easier to provide for in the winter but I'm assuming there care is the same so grass / privet, not much more hassle.
Don't mean to be overly negative chaps!

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Grass cutters as I asked question about feeding my atta on them it be ace in winter like you said Andrew great see them cut grass

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:54 pm

As, first and foremost, a Leaf Cutting Ant enthusiast, I will take any excuse to go and get new types but I agree with Jamie. Don't think anyone will really be sad if there were only ever Atta cephalotes and Acromyrmex octospinosis available but as soon as others come along I think everyone will have their own favourites. I have pretty much driven the market in Leaf Cutters since the early nineties and I just feel things need to move along now with the introduction of new species regularly available. Should be an exciting time, personally I cant wait to work with them.
Because I can get Atta cephalotes and Acromyrmex octospinosis very easily, I will probably always push these species to anyone who has never kept LCA before and use the other species as an enticement to those experienced keepers to either keep them again or add them to their existing species.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:58 pm

The grass cutters might be then Atta species I buy once my colony sells. Sound interesting. Do let me know when you get them imported.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)