Jimimardlin's Atta Cephalotes (aquarium setup)

Old journals that have not been updates for longer than 6 months.
jimimardlin
Pupa

Re: Jimimardlin's Atta Cephalotes (aquarium setup)

Post by jimimardlin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:12 am

in that case I wont intergrate them at all hahaha, I am not going to risk it, ill just steal there brood and some of there fungus for my new colony

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:13 am

I thought it was something that was done regularly, but I was mistaken

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 am

Thats some nice fungus!! Your conditions are obviously correct. Shame!

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:28 am

THANK YOU :D :D compliments from the master leafcutter ant keeper, :lol: I must be doing good :o well apart from the swimming lessons

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:19 pm

14/8/18

HI GUYS

the "colony" is going very well the fungus looks more fungusy, and I cant wait for the huge larva to become the first soldier in this colonys!

this will be the new nest for my new colony, is the holes height ok? is the amount of holes ok? what else needs to be changed to make it better for the ants?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

After loosing your queen probably due to her accidents i would be inclined to make the whole set up that little bit safer for her. Perhaps making the island just one piece and getting rid of those tiny sticks which are just begging for the same to happen again. I know the aquarium design is a tried and tested method but to me it's just asking for problems with a wandering queen and that's why i didn't choose this method. Anyway I would do away with the holes completely and just leave the lid slightly ajar which would keep the queen in and allow access to the workers. :)

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 pm

ok I may try what you say (getting rid of the holes) and getting rid of the two islands. Also yes I will change the lil sticks for big stems, I did the holes at the top because the queen is very crap at climbing and last time the holes where flush with the bottom I was thinking that this would stop the situation of her coming out.

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:20 pm

also andy I love you live cam, one just took a piece of petal hahaha

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 pm

jimimardlin wrote:also andy I love you live cam, one just took a piece of petal hahaha
Thanks Jim, nice to know it works :) and it can only get better..

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am

15/8/16

ESCAPES!!! only 3 but still hahaha, the new colony will be shipped today to get to me tomorrow!!! but my queenless colony is doing very well, lots of new growth on the fungus, they have been lacking a bit on the cutting but I think that's because they have a huge amount of leafs stored in there entrance.

I've made a newer nest, with a few improvements such as there is only one hole and also the nest space is a lot bigger, I will use thick bramble stems as a last defence against the queen
trying to have her adventures. also I will place the fungus and the queen on the other side of the holes so she is even less likely to find the hole cozshe will stay near the fungus.

But hopefully the hole is so high and the queens are so crap at climbing she wont be able to get out "fingers crossed (again)"