Jimimardlin's Atta Cephalotes (aquarium setup)

Old journals that have not been updates for longer than 6 months.
jimimardlin
Pupa

Jimimardlin's Atta Cephalotes (aquarium setup)

Post by jimimardlin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:45 pm

hi guys I got my first ever leaf cutter colony yesterday from Antkeepingshop a absolutely beautiful and quite painful colony

yesterday 9/8/16
First thoughts "how are they alive" hahaha firstly the postman dropped the box right in from of me, later the queen fell in the moat (thank god I was there) but they are alive and healthy in there set up pics below, just an hour after there where pieces of leaf already being cut

Last edited by jimimardlin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimimardlin
Pupa

Re: Jimimardlin's Atta Cephalotes (aquarium setup)

Post by jimimardlin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:52 pm

today 10/8/16

this morning was a beautiful sight 90% of the two strawberry leafs I put in yesterday where all cut and where at the nest, I have now put a plant feast.
The fungus is a lot more defined (structured and not just a levelled mess)and more fungus likeness has been seen (white fluffy stuff)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Looking good Jim, sounds like a fun day yesterday-queen in the moat! Lol. How did that happen?

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:23 pm

hahaha well I was trying to pick the queen up while I had gloves on and one of mediums bit me under the glove, god knows how it got there. and I was not expecting it to be so painful so I dropped her and she grabbed onto the side for like two seconds and then fell :( she then went like 100 mph (where the bump is) I was literally shaking coz I thought it was all over :cry: but she is ok now hahaha

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 am

11/8/16

blooming awful update today, my queen fell into the water and now all her workers hate her (biting her) but there is some hope I think, over the mins ive been watching more and more workers are starting to leave her alone prob coz they think she is not a threat so hopefully when all the workers leave her alone they will get used to her smell and hopefull they will intergreat her into the colony *fingers crossed*

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 am

When any of our colony fall into the water and I rescue them, other ants come over to them and it seems they are checking to make sure the wet one is OK. After a while they move away. I have had ants fall into the water and found other ants trying to reach for them, so it seems they want to look after one another...it seems strength in numbers, so the colony values all healthy members.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Jim in the third picture down that includes the queen and fungus is that a hole in the tub? Are you plugging that with cotton wool? When you found the queen floating was it unplugged?

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Jackie what about queens falling into the water? how does the colony react then coz mine I believe are biting her, but then I thought couldn't the bigger ants easily cut her leg off? if they can then why are they not?

jimimardlin
Pupa

Post by jimimardlin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:13 pm

deanise no at the time it was just a temporary block,(when I was putting in the fungus) so nothing would fall out and yes it was likely she fell out of that hole but why would she go over there when her fungus was not close to it

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:19 pm

There sorting things out so if the conditions are right then it's likely she has just back out that hole by mistake, Atta queens are pretty large and not very nimble, I've seen mine on occasion getting into some awkward position.
If they wanted to kill her I think she would be dead so it's more likely they are tending to her as was mentioned.
Are they still adding to the fungus?
Are the queens legs curled under? It looks like it but may just be the camera angle.