Daubz Atta cephalotes

Old journals that have not been updates for longer than 6 months.
Daubz1977
Minim

Re: Daubz Atta cephalotes

Post by Daubz1977 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 am

Theyve been adding a bit of leaf to the fungus but are still spending mast of the time building a wall around the fungus, ive also noticed they are adding leaves to the wall they are building but it looks like they are purposely collecting leaves to add to the wall, i think this because they arnt even taking the cut leaves to the fungus just straight to the wall.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:03 pm

The wall is a good sign! It means they are reacting to the requirements of the fungus! Acro will bury fungus from my experience but Atta just build up around it!

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Thats good to know.
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:27 pm

Im a little concerned, I dont think the fungus has shrunk but it isnt growing and it is looking quite white now, they are adding to the fungus but not as much as they have in the past, the humidity and temperature are good. Ive given them grape and orange peel and they took both, i dont know what can be wrong, they have been building a soil wall around the fungus the last few days so i dont know if they have just been putting there time into this instead of cutting leaves.
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:36 pm

White is good! That's the bit the ants munch on, mycelium I think, no doubt some fungus fanatic will trip me up on that comment! Lol leicoagaricus Gongylophorus :D

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:56 pm

As Sean said I don't think you have anything to worry about Dale, fungus seems to get creamy white in soil set ups, probably cause conditions are better than clinical.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Britishants.com wrote:White is good! That's the bit the ants munch on, mycelium I think, no doubt some fungus fanatic will trip me up on that comment! Lol leicoagaricus Gongylophorus :D
Leucoagaricus gongylophorus loads of stuff in that. Cellulose, lignin, antibiotics there such a long list...

My fungus sort of matures, when it becomes all green from the leaves and then slowly becomes white again after the leaves have been digested by enzymes.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Britishants.com wrote:White is good! That's the bit the ants munch on, mycelium I think, no doubt some fungus fanatic will trip me up on that comment! Lol leicoagaricus Gongylophorus :D
Not strictly true. The mycelium are effectively the stalks of the fungus. The bits the ants eat are the fruiting bodies, effectively the mushrooms. Your white fungus suggests they are not adding to it. There will be a reason. Can I suggest you cause a little damage to it or even better, get a spoon and remove around a third and place it a few cm's from the nest so they have to carry it back. Make sure you miss the queen. Also offer privet leaves close to the nest. Its not uncommon for the ants to use leaves to strengthen a thin wall. Also the foragers are bringing leaves to the nest but the gardeners do not want to use them. What soil are you using? Could it be alkaline. Ants like quite acidic conditions in their fungus, which always sits around pH5.
Are you measuring temp and humidity right at the fungus with a probe? Do your conditions remain constant throughout night or does it drop. The trick here is to find the reason why they are behaving like this. There will be a cause, you need to eliminate likely suspects and settle on the real problem.

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:19 pm

i have my probe right next to the fungus, dont think the temperature drops over night, there is a slight variance of around half a degree. Im getting a bigger heater delivered in the next couple of days because i dont think the one i have is big enough, so it may drop over night. What soil would be best for me to use, does anyone have any recommendations.
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:44 pm

I was recommended John Innes number 9 when I started with soil. Any pics of the ants and what there doing?
While my Atta where constructing there chamber they also cut very little at that time to Dale.