Atta cephalotes - Gregor Poeth

Old journals that have not been updates for longer than 6 months.
Gregor Poeth
Larva

Atta cephalotes - Gregor Poeth

Post by Gregor Poeth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:21 am

My Atta cephalotes colonie

Hello Guys, here I wanna talk about my Atta cephalotes colonie. 4 months ago I went to AntsKalytta (it was very interesting) and bought a small colonie (about 100-200ml mushroom). As setup I took a old 45x35cm Antstore Arena and cleaned it up. Then I washed some Seramis and I made a 2-4cm high Seramis Subsrate in the Arena. Then I made a hole in the middle of the Arena and I put the shroom in. At least I put a box over the shroom (fungus???).

The colonie did well in the first 2 months, the shroom growed and growed, the box was too small. But then, I took away the heatmat... :oops:

My room had about 23-24C, but there were the Attas had theire Set-up, it was colder, but I saw it too late...

So 50% of the shroom died. And now he's growing very slow. But at least he is growing! I don't mess the temperature or moisture. I always keep the Seramis wet, and the temperature is about 23C, I had a thermometer a long time in, it should be like that. Sometimes a proof it.

In the last 4 weeks they only taking raspberry, but at this time there are no leafs... But I give them blackberry and rose leafs, they cut it too, but just a little.

They got many pupas and larvaes, I saw it on the top of the shroom.

Here's a Video, it shows my queen: https://youtu.be/p-LYGUfq6dE
Would be nice if you subscribe!

So, I will post update you when something new happend, and sorry for my bad english! :P

Bye!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gregor Poeth
Larva

Re: Atta cephalotes - Gregor Poeth

Post by Gregor Poeth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:23 am

More pictures :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gregor Poeth
Larva

Post by Gregor Poeth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:25 am

and more pictures...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:16 pm

I like this setup for the same reason I like Richards set up. Everything is happening in the same space which reduces risk of any of the parameters going wrong. It look very good. What are your plans for housing them when they expand? Do you have any means for preventing workers from escaping when you open the main tank to feed etc. I know some members have started with a similar design and found, when the numbers grew after a while, that opening the tank was an ordeal which ultimately proved too much of a problem. Whats your thoughts?

Gregor Poeth
Larva

Post by Gregor Poeth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm

I like this simple setup too! I never had problems with escaping Workers while opening the Formicarium. But my friend is making a 3 Zylinder Setup for me at this moment, it's like this from the antstore, just a little bigger and the connection between the Zyliinders are out of glass and not this plastic. ( http://www.antstore.net/shop/Ameisen-St ... inder.html )

But i wanna start a second Leaf Cutter colonie this year. Should be a Acromyrmex.

LG
Gregor

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Great to see you have started a Journal Gregor, and you know need to apologise about your English, its very good!
Looking good at the minute, we all have hiccups but at least your colony pulled through and is on the up again.
When do you think your new set up will be ready?
I had both Atta and Acromyrmex colonies at the one time and if I was you I'd reconsider and just focus on the one as the get big enough by themselves! lol.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by RichardP on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi Richard, I'm sure it would work but there are hassles long term with this method, to discuss it you might be better posting it on your journal or general discussion area so we don't hijack Gregor's journal ;)

Gregor Poeth
Larva

Post by Gregor Poeth » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Hello guys.. I make it quick: my queen died!

I don't know why!!! The shroom (fungus?) were growing so good as never before! Than I found the queens head yesterday on the top of the shroom. I took off the box and searched for the rest of the Queen, and I found it. The workers cut of the legs & the head. I found brood while searching for the queen. A friend had the Same problem... Now my (expensive) new set-up will be ready in the next 2 weeks and my Attas are .... I don't got the money to buy a new one for 200€ in the shops here. First will try some leafs on my colonie without queen, I never did this before because I don't wanted the shroom dead, now I have nothing to lose.

So this journal is finished..

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:19 pm

Gregor I'm sorry to hear about your queen dying, it's always sad to see. Can I ask if you restricted the queen to a certain chamber?