Leaf Cutting Ant soldiers get a leathering from army ants!

Things we know or find out about Leaf Cutting Ants that are incredible and need to be shared with everyone else
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Leaf Cutting Ant soldiers get a leathering from army ants!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Watched an army ant raid on an Atta nest, a really big one. Got film of it but haven't edited it yet. Anyway I was very excited because the Atta colony was huge, far too big for the army ants to do any damage. Every entrance was filled with atta soldiers. They came out in a line of a dozen or so and slowly advanced towards thousands of Army Ants. However when they encountered an army ant they basically just curled up and allowed the very aggressive army ants to bite and sting hem and carry them off. Very strange. I kept waiting for a fight. I can only assume they would start to react if the army ants started entering the nest but from this demonstration they are rubbish. What is worse is they enthusiastically bite me at every opportunity!!

RichardP
Worker

Re: Leaf Cutting Ant soldiers get a leathering from army ants!

Post by RichardP » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Excellent field work!!

Deansie26
Major

Re: Leaf Cutting Ant soldiers get a leathering from army ants!

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Looking forward to seeing the video. Great catching that moment on film. I'm sure the leafcutter soldier's where just having an off day lol.
Sounds like they where sacrificing themselves?