Undermining; Leaf Cutting Ant damage to roads

Things we know or find out about Leaf Cutting Ants that are incredible and need to be shared with everyone else
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Undermining; Leaf Cutting Ant damage to roads

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 pm

A common sight in the tropics is when a colony of leaf cutters, having founded their colony by a road, continue to expand until they are excavating soil from under the road itself. This combined with the weight of vehicles passing over the road above normally leads to the collapse of the road. I have seen this several times during my travels around Central adn South America

This one is only at the stage of spilling over onto the road, but if left uncontrolled then the road will deteriorate. This picture is from Brazil.

Taken from http://brunalab.org/blog/2013/01/18/ernane-vieira-neto/

Atta solider
Worker

Re: Undermining; Leaf Cutting Ant damage to roads

Post by Atta solider » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:32 am

Will you be going to get that colony Andrew?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Undermining; Leaf Cutting Ant damage to roads

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Are you kidding!! That colony will have well over 100 rugby ball sized fungus gardens, tens of thousands of majors and will be very difficult to locate the queen. No I stay well clear of these. Interesting point though. If you go to an area year after year and keep taking colonies away, you are ruining your own source of colonies. So we always leave the bigger colonies alone so they are there to produce the queens that form the new colonies for us to get!