Another winter, another struggle!!!

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Another winter, another struggle!!!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Its that time of year again. All the good leaves are gone, we are left with the toil of finding something the ants will take every day. Privet, the old faithful, bramble, and rose, perhaps ivy. Heard years ago that Holly was sometimes taken. Rhododendron is taken by large atta colonies. Laurel also. Other than these its a case of trying whatever is evergreen around you. Tesco car parks are good to frequent. They are surrounded with evergreens. Also busy roads tend to have plants that should be dead still green, well into winter, because of the heat from the vehicles. Cant really say how much the fumes will affect the fungus though. And then theres the traditional fall backs. Brussel Sprouts, Broccolli, Grapes, Apple. All taken with enthusiasm. Havr I missed any?

Deansie26
Major

Re: Another winter, another struggle!!!

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 am

Quinoa needs to be one it, I found it to be a real staple with the Acromyrmex. Stores great so when your caught short etc it's really handy.
I wonder if you had less success with it Andrew because it was subjected to humidity before being collectes by the ants?
Definetly worth another go though.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 am

The problem I had with it is that the humidity in the ant room is close to 100%, the quinoa grew fungus within 24 hours. Possibly you are right, needs drier conditions.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 pm

You need to plant some privet bushes Andrew.. that got me through the winter... Privet and oats as a standby.. I never tried the quinoa

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Okay, firstly Ill need to buy a couple of acres. 200 colonies take a van full of privet each time. My neighbours have the best trimmed hedges in the country. We could win an award for neat hedges after my efforts each winter. I take foraging to a whole new level. If I could design a warm jacket for the ants I would let them go out in winter and find their own leaves. I wish they ate grass.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Almond flakes were taken by my Atta colony.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Almond flakes, yes, Ive used them but with mixed success. This winter I will try many other foods, not through choice but desperation!!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

Hi all,

Long time since I've been here. Exciting times for me and our Uni as Andrew is building our new display and we have a colony of Atta cephalotes on it's way for January! Our old colony of Acromyrmex echinatior has had a good innings of 14 years (!) and only has a handful of ants left now, but we still look after them.

I've been reading through all of your replies to see what everyone is feeding over winter. Normally we feed bramble and privet leaves and this has been fine for the smaller colony, as I could find enough. As the new colony we are getting is going to be larger, I'm thinking that I will not be able to find as many leaves as required, so am looking to buy in fresh produce. All recommendations of winter feeding resources greatly received!

Thanks

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Fantastic - exciting times... :)

Privet was certainly the winter staple for my atta but apples and oats were always a good standby. I did try sprouts for a bit but they were a tad malodorous!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Calum, my son, spent the summer in Koos's Copenhagen Leaf Cutting Ant lab. They feed all of their colonies on Apple and Bramble leaves only, alternating the feed! Not my idea of ideal management but seems to work well.