Two new ideas for food plants in winter.

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Two new ideas for food plants in winter.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Firstly its a fact that when they are planning to build new retail parks they plant all the borders with plants that stay green all year round. When you park there its literally an A-Z of possible plants for your ants. Amazing variety, not identified many of them but at the closest one to me there were at least 10 types of evergreens that look like candidates. I tried one by gathering branches from an area away from heavy traffic and the ants loved it. Seems like a good place to pick up some ideas, if not the leaves themselves.
Secondly I have evergreen clematis growing in my garden. The ants are taking this very well. Another suitable plant to try if you have any.
One other tip. I noticed that garden centres at this time of year populate the outdoor plant section with plants that are green in winter. It makes sense for them to have plants that dont look dead on their shelves. But for us it is also potentially a place to get names of plants that we could use to feed ants over winter.