That time of year again!

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

That time of year again!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am

Not sure how the trees and other plants are looking down south but up here we have pretty much kissed green leaves goodbye for another winter!
So its time to change to the winter menu for the Attas and Acromyrmex.
My suggested winter list has 7 types of food in it, the idea being to go from one to seven and then cycle back to one again.

1. Blackberry (Bramble) Leaves.
2. Brussels Sprouts
3, Privet Leaves
4. Orange Peel
5. Cabbage / Kale
6. Laurel
7. Choice of Apple, Grape, Sultanas, oats, broccoli etc

It is important to limit the number of times you offer apple or grape, it is likely that these types are not added to the garden but rather eaten by the ants themselves so providing no benefit to the colony.
Winter can be challenging but preparation is the key. Have a couple of packets of Sprouts in the fridge, always look out in the bashed section at the supermarket for oranges and broccoli etc, find out where the nearest source of suitable leaves are and speak to the people whose garden they are in. Once its set up you are set for the winter ahead.

Deansie26
Major

Re: That time of year again!

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:02 am

Good post, it can be tricky at times. I've not had quinoa rejected once by Atta or Acromyrmex Andrew since Andy made us aware of it, real easy to have it at hand and a good addition to the winter list. Almond flakes also.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 am

Mine go mad for red cabbage at the moment it's tough tho and you only see small chunks being carried off, they go through a tough leaf a night! The usual is fed, privet, aucuba and broccoli! :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

I tried Quinoa on my ants, both atta and acros, and although they carried it into the nest they all rejected it! What brand are you using. Mine used it as material to build entranceways and after a couple of days there was mould on it so I had to remove it all. Interested in this. Are we sure they are gardening with it after they collect it?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm

This is the one I'm using http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/organi ... ussex.html
They're gardening with it, the fungus ends ups covered in small white dots.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:46 pm

Mine to love Quinoa they stick it all over the fungus, certainly not rejected.

My biggest fear are pesticides as i lost my Atta to this. I think. Anyway i may have mentioned this before but i picked up some organic Kale from tescos which said on the packet "very little pesticides and fertilizer used with our products" Surly this implies it's not organic. ?

Frozen Bramble. Love it and it turns brown very quickly after it thaws but the ants will take it anyway but then dries so don't give em to much. I also blanched a load of brussels ready for winter. One for me one for the ants.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:41 pm

Nice I've got all ready what to start with this winter leaves and am planing of bramble first 2weeks then privet leaves but I've been feeding them now leaves of some kind and they must love it as it brings more out cutting it

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Atta solider wrote:Nice I've got all ready what to start with this winter leaves and am planing of bramble first 2weeks then privet leaves but I've been feeding them now leaves of some kind and they must love it as it brings more out cutting it
What leaves are you feeding. Can you identify them or post a photo?

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Yeah I'll take pic of them for you Andrew they love it as now for my wife going out as well get leaves

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:46 pm

It has yellow flowers at spring then they fall of and it's all green leafs on them it's the leafs they go crazy on they sometimes take the yellow flowers from it on to the fungus as it turns yellow when spring/summer I'll take pics of them