Bananas Anyone

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Bananas Anyone

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 pm

One of the benefits of having a large greenhouse facility is I can grow all of the food for the ants for the winter in the big glass area that is heated. More than that, I have basically all of their favourite foods from Trinidad. So it is very easy to go pick a couple of banana leaves and share them around the colonies of ants. Its nice to give them the same food as they gather in Trinidad.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Bananas Anyone

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:02 pm

I have been thinking hard about this and Im going to give up the remainder of my garage if there is any left with an upcoming project to setting up a tropical greenhouse with heaters, lights, misters the lot. i know its not an easy thing to do but the garage is mine,(coming from the boss) lol so just want to dedicate everything to them. I've always loved growing plants so it's a good fit!!

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Good idea I went graden center today see if they had lemon trees for sale or limes as hear the atta like cut the leaves but. They had none left so like your idea I'll have to start trying get food what they cut in the wild :( all the eaves were I am from gone or the trees been cut ready for spring :(

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Caution!! Be very careful of feeding leaf material from Garden Centres or nurseries. They very often use systemic insecticides which are taken up by the plant and held in their leaves. This means that any insect eating (or in our case, cutting) the leaves is killed, long after the insecticide was added. This warning also applies to florists especially.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Oright thanks for the info I'll pass the. I'll stick to ones on your food list then :)

rens
Larva

Post by rens » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:39 pm

thank you it helped me a lot! ;)

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:19 pm

I love try banna leaves see what they do but no hear lol wish banna had seeds lol