Pesticides and leaves.

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Shamual
Pupa

Pesticides and leaves.

Post by Shamual » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:24 pm

In my garden I have a couple of fruit trees, that lose their leaves over winter. We spray them with pesticides once a year but have yet done so this year. If I let the fresh leaves grow without spraying them, will they be safe to feed to my soon to be attas?

And if not does anyone know of any place that sells safe plants?

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: Pesticides and leaves.

Post by Leafcutter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:49 pm

Depends on the type of pesticide, if it is systemic, then no they won't have faded.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Best to gather leaves away from gardens. Noone sprays hedgerows and you can tell where people are likely to care about pests. If you have neighbours you can ask if they ever spray and then offer to keep some of their plants under control. I mainly stop on my way somewhere and grab a handful of stuff. (Actually more like a bootful).

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Best to gather leaves away from gardens. Noone sprays hedgerows and you can tell where people are likely to care about pests. If you have neighbours you can ask if they ever spray and then offer to keep some of their plants under control. I mainly stop on my way somewhere and grab a handful of stuff. (Actually more like a bootful).
I got some Spotted laurel and got a big carrier bag full :D.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Oh ok thanks for the reply guys, we have a spotted laurel plant that was forgotten about so I'm gonna feed them that, and the plot of land next to my house is for sale, so it's over run with evergreen plants and brambles, if I get a few samples tomorrow, would it be ok if one of you guys looked at the photos and made sure nothings poisonous?

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:14 am

If they where sprayed with Mortegg or Jeyes as a winter wash last year they should be fine! it's not systemic and would have worn off after 2 months at most! It's a tar winter wash and I've never known it to have a direct affect on larger insects.