Spotted Laurel

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Leafcutter
Minim

Spotted Laurel

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Bagged a load of Aucuba japonica variegata and fed it to my Attas and froze the rest. Went down faster than privet has ever gone down. Has to be put on the Atta list for sure as the ants went crazy for it :D.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Britishants.com
Worker

Re: Spotted Laurel

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Mine wont even look at privet anymore, they don't seem to want anything else I give them, they've been taking that and orange pith for over 6 weeks now and discarding everything else! Aucuba is a main stay!

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Britishants.com wrote:Mine wont even look at privet anymore, they don't seem to want anything else I give them, they've been taking that and orange pith for over 6 weeks now and discarding everything else! Aucuba is a main stay!
Odd, never seen Atta react to a leaf type in this way, Privet has been knocked off 1st place :o.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Leafcutter wrote:
Britishants.com wrote:Mine wont even look at privet anymore, they don't seem to want anything else I give them, they've been taking that and orange pith for over 6 weeks now and discarding everything else! Aucuba is a main stay!
Odd, never seen Atta react to a leaf type in this way, Privet has been knocked off 1st place :o.
I just can't believe it lol

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Embarrassingly that is a new one to me. Going to go on a hunt!

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:08 pm

It's made a mockery of Bert hobdobblers book, mine do not rotate, I did manage them to take one leaf of Bergenia before they where going back to the Aucuba!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Britishants.com wrote:It's made a mockery of Bert hobdobblers book, mine do not rotate, I did manage them to take one leaf of Bergenia before they where going back to the Aucuba!
I think it is important to distinguish between ants in nature, accessing hundreds of potential food plants and rotating through them, and ants in captivity which are artificially forced to harvest only the limited resources we provide them with. I would think if the ants are choosing one particular food type over others around then this is probably more a reflection on the quality, at this time of year, of the other food sources rather than their abandoning of millions of years of behavioural development and deciding to stop this crop rotation 'nonsense' in favour of monospecific cutting.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 pm

I think spotted Laural will be a winner for sure but it wont take over from privet with young colonies I don't think. When I had a few Atta lodgers over Christmas the smaller colonies struggled more with it as they had fewer larger forager.
I don't know the name but its a green holly leave with a yellow splash in the middle, spiny but similar colours to the Laurel and mine have been taking that to so maybe green/ yellow colouration maybe a winner.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Sounds like Elaeagnus pungens maculata Dean! not tried them on that but did fill my pockets up when walking home the other night! Needless to say they where crispy when I threw them out today!