Annual plants for Atta

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
PierreE
Larva

Annual plants for Atta

Post by PierreE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey guys,
In Spring I can plant a field with plants which I want.
But the plants must be annual...Only one year..
So It must grow fast...

Do you know which Plants I can plant for Atta?

Thank you

RichardP
Worker

Re: Annual plants for Atta

Post by RichardP » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Periwinkle is my current first choice.. it isn't an annual.. it's a biennial but it is really quick growing.. it grows like weeds.. it's very easy to transplant from existing so if you could find some growing yuo could just steal a trailer or two and you'd be off.. You'd have to dig it up after year of course... which would be easy as it doesn't root deeply..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:49 pm

To be honest, the work you would put in to grow plants that will die at the same time as all the other plants that will be avaialbe this year would not be worth it. If you were growing stuff under glass for the winter then I could see the point. If it was me I would leave the field and take advantage of whatever pops up. There will be plenty of good stuff around. The best 'weed' by far is Rosebay Willow Herb, it is fantastic!! Mainly for Atta though.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:26 am

Vinca minor and vinca major are perennials btw! Aucuba, ligustrum and roses are must for any long term Atta keeper! I have satsuma on the shopping list for the Acromyrmex but just the peel, the rest goes in the bin! :D

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:01 am

Britishants.com wrote:Vinca minor and vinca major are perennials btw! Aucuba, ligustrum and roses are must for any long term Atta keeper! I have satsuma on the shopping list for the Acromyrmex but just the peel, the rest goes in the bin! :D
Yeah, perennial.. that's what I meant :) I'm no botanist!!