New Idea!!

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

New Idea!!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 am

I was out in my Leaf Cutting Ant room today and suddenly had an idea based mainly on the holly thread we have been running. So in the winter there is a problem. The ants do not like or cannot cut many of the leaves that are around. However what if we took holly and some of the other desirable leaves out there and blended them up into a paste and added something like honey or orange or something the ants like. We could spread this out into a sheet and dry it. Then offer it to the ants. Or if the paste was thick enough we could offer it as is. Playing around with the recipe and using unsuitable leaves or even grass mixed with an ingredient the ants like the taste of would allow us to store large quantities of food. Taking it to the next level, you could make up a large batch and divide it into several smaller batches which could be flavoured with different ingredients and offered to the ants for variety. Not sure where this could go but for inner city colonies or for colonies kept in areas with few suitable leafed plants around then this might be worth a try. What do you think?

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: New Idea!!

Post by Leafcutter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:05 am

Don't know how a stable sheet of plantstuffs could be made easily but it's worth a try.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:10 am

Would be great we could come up with something, I'll try a little concoction

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:52 pm

I've tryed this Andrew other week with privet leaves and grapes blended up paste and they took it you should try spray grape juice on holly they cut it then

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Leafcutter wrote:Don't know how a stable sheet of plantstuffs could be made easily but it's worth a try.
Saw this when thinking about a prepared food for Leaf Cutters...

https://harvestright.com/how-it-works/# ... SF301.dpbs

watch the first video, if we had one of those puppies then there's your ant food in a bag!