Holly!

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Holly!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:45 pm

This is interesting. A few years ago I heard someone who kept Leaf Cutters saying that they regularly fed their colonies on Holly through the winter. They joked that the Holly spines could not be broken down by the fungus and so the fungus ended up with a load of spines embedded in it which was great protection for it. I remember trying Holly but the colony I had at the time did not take it and I thought no more about it. However today I was visiting Balir Drummond Safari Park to maintain their colony and the keepers have been feeding Holly as a matter of routine. The ants not only take it but seem to prefer it to other popular leaves such as Bramble which was on the feeding table along side the holly and was left untouched whereas the holly was destroyed. The circumstances are that the Holly leaves looked quite soft and fresh, the leaves were in an area which is very humid so may have been softened by this. But, whatever the reason, I am suggesting we try Holly and see. Choose as young leaves as are available and let us know. I will do the same. If Holly is taken as well as this colony does then we would have a real alternative and a new evergreen to add to our winter list. Thought that was worth a mention.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Holly!

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:07 pm

That's really interesting! I've got 2 different varieties of holly at the bottom of my garden, a straight grean leaf type and a yellow/green leaf type. I'll be trying them tomorrow. Maybe there is a way of softening the leaves by soaking in warm water or something. Will try and post findings here!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:12 pm

I have holly in my back garden. I will drop some in forthwith.

Some initial interest.. but sprout is king for now...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 am

Okay, Richard, you need to explain the bottle cap! Thats very mischievous of you. You know someone is going to have to ask. I tried to maintain my poker faced air of indifference and even navigated away from this thread trying to convince myself that it didnt matter but here I am asking the question, being THAT predictable, knowing that everyone else is thinking 'wonder whos going to ask about the bottle cap'. Its me!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Okay, Richard, you need to explain the bottle cap! Thats very mischievous of you. You know someone is going to have to ask. I tried to maintain my poker faced air of indifference and even navigated away from this thread trying to convince myself that it didnt matter but here I am asking the question, being THAT predictable, knowing that everyone else is thinking 'wonder whos going to ask about the bottle cap'. Its me!
Haha, well the bottle top is my cynical side swipe at man's inexorable destruction of our beautiful planet. No matter where you visit in the world you will always find some discarded reminder that humans were once there.

The ants have taken some of the holly but it looks like it's been very hard work. A few segments have gone but most of it is still there.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

It's the ants pub bud is on the menu haha booze ants

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Today I tried the 2 Holly varieties with my Acromyrmex, they wouldn't take it.
I then boiled the leaves for a few minute's which did soften them but they still wouldn't take them.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:55 pm

deansie26 wrote:Today I tried the 2 Holly varieties with my Acromyrmex, they wouldn't take it.
I then boiled the leaves for a few minute's which did soften them but they still wouldn't take them.
If you try changing them for privet I am sure they will take them then.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Holly is hard leaf tho if young colony tho cut ? What if I spray them with grape juice on the holly it might work lol

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:25 pm

I gave Rhododendron leaves to my colony when it was small and they seemed fine with it.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)