Unusual ant behaviour

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Deansie26
Major

Unusual ant behaviour

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Over past few years of keeping leafcutters I've observed ants on occasion what I can only describe as spasaming, looking all control of there ability to walk, there legs go almost straight but pulse. Initially I thought conditions where not right as I seen it in the foraging tank and the temperature there could drop considerable lower but I have determined it was the result of pesticides.
If I use a supermarket veg I go organic when possible but if I need a sprout for example I'll pull all outer skin of and soak in hot water to be safe.
I used a outer cabbage leave once as was in a hurry and it resulted in around ten ants perishing like this. So if you do see it you know will know why! :)

Deansie26
Major

Re: Unusual ant behaviour

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:33 pm

Another member has been effected with what I have experienced in the past and kindly send me the video of what I described in my initial post.
You can clearly see in his video what this erratic behavior is like and should help members identify what I believe is insecticide/ pesticides poisoning.
Thanks Riccardo aka atta-mad

Maybe our professor Adam can shed some light on it?

Atta solider
Worker

Re: Unusual ant behaviour

Post by Atta solider » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks mate and true I'll have watch what I feed them :(