Daily forage diary - our A. cephalotes colony

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Jackie62
Minim

Re: Daily forage diary - our A. cephalotes colony

Post by Jackie62 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

16/05/18

Today the colony has had much the same as yesterday, they are loving flaked almonds! Why?! I'm not going to put any extra forage in until they have finished up what they have. I may start on the bramble again soon as the growing leaves have started to thicken up now.

I'm making provision on campus to grow privet shrubs, we got permission!! :D

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Whole Almonds are better as they last longer. They never tire from them.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Andyj wrote:Whole Almonds are better as they last longer. They never tire from them.
Really? I'll give them a try....the flaked almonds don't last long at all!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:58 pm

17/05/18

Getting boring, but they love privet. We did try some berberis which my colleague said they cut, but I couldn't see that happening today. The also cut Euonymous japonicus. Apple is loved and flaked almonds disappear very quickly. I will try whole almonds tomorrow upon Andy's advice.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm

The point of these journals is to experiment and find new leaves. That way every day is a challenge! I need lots of different leaf types for my thesis!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 10:34 pm

i see where your coming from but mine don't always like what yours likes. My Acros wont cut certain leaves at different times of the year such as privet. I could never recommend Privet to another keeper based on my experience with it but i seem to be in the minority. This year they relished Dandelion, all parts, now they won't touch it. I'm sure this is down to their environmental situation and conditions being different from other keepers. Thank god ( not you Andrew the other one ) for Bramble..

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:The point of these journals is to experiment and find new leaves. That way every day is a challenge! I need lots of different leaf types for my thesis!
I am experimenting! The colony display looks like a garden centre at the moment!

OK....

18/05/18

Today, the colony has:

White poplar leaves
Hornbeam leaves
Privet
Rose leaves and flowers
Berberis leaves
Pyrocantha leaves and flowers
Apple
Flaked almonds
Euonymous japonicus

I'll report later on what was cut.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 am

Andyj wrote:i see where your coming from but mine don't always like what yours likes. My Acros wont cut certain leaves at different times of the year such as privet. I could never recommend Privet to another keeper based on my experience with it but i seem to be in the minority. This year they relished Dandelion, all parts, now they won't touch it. I'm sure this is down to their environmental situation and conditions being different from other keepers. Thank god ( not you Andrew the other one ) for Bramble..
Our Acros always loved bramble and apple the most...they were not fussed about privet.

Our Atta love privet and apple, but I'm hoping they will also love something else soon...

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 am

Jackie62 wrote:
Acromyrmexbob wrote:The point of these journals is to experiment and find new leaves. That way every day is a challenge! I need lots of different leaf types for my thesis!
I am experimenting! The colony display looks like a garden centre at the moment!

OK....

18/05/18

Today, the colony has:

White poplar leaves
Hornbeam leaves
Privet
Rose leaves and flowers
Berberis leaves
Pyrocantha leaves and flowers
Apple
Flaked almonds
Euonymous japonicus

I'll report later on what was cut.
White poplar leaves - NOT CUT
Hornbeam leaves - NOT CUT
Privet - What do you think?
Rose leaves and flowers - LEAVES ONLY
Berberis leaves - EVENTUALLY, BUT NOT FUSSED
Pyrocantha leaves and flowers - SOME CUT
Apple - ALWAYS
Flaked almonds - ALWAYS
Euonymous japonicus - TAKEN SLOWLY, BUT ALL GONE

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Thats a great post!!!!
So heres the question. Given along with all time favourites, do you think the leaves they were not enthusiastic about were because they had some heavy hitters in there like privet so they were prioritising their preferences and going for the best first. Like me at a buffet.