Daily Food Diary, LCA HQ

What you feed, where you get it from, basically we will build up a comrehensive list of suitable plants to feed Leaf Cutters. Also in temperate countries, what do you feed them in the Winter?
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Daily Food Diary, LCA HQ

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 10, 2018 9:54 am

Carrots would be a great standby food, although I suspect the larger colonies would be better able to carve it up than the smalls. Will try it later on, but for now theres a bonanza of leaf varieties out there!! Wish I was a leaf cutting ant!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:8/5/2018

Dandelion and Docking leaves today. Available everywhere, easy to find, well accepted and a good mainstay.
Ours said 'no' to dandelion leaves and flowers, was thinking of trying dock though....we're only 4 months in yet, so I can't wait until after a year....one of our academic members of staff came up to me when I was cleaning the colony moats out, and described what we could do as the colony expanded!! Andrew, we're going to go up!! Can't wait!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:54 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Carrots would be a great standby food, although I suspect the larger colonies would be better able to carve it up than the smalls. Will try it later on, but for now theres a bonanza of leaf varieties out there!! Wish I was a leaf cutting ant!
I'm going to try grated carrots...and yes, so many leaves and flowers to try! Our uni is next door to an old, Victorian cemetery (they don't bury people in it anymore). It's taken care of as a conservation site and has some lovely wildflowers and invertebrates in it. An excellent resource for forage....also, the garden hedges of Cambridge...I steal the privet as I walk past them on my way to work with my secateurs....yes, I do get some funny looks, but the law says if a hedge is hanging over someone's boundary of their property you can cut it, so I do!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat May 12, 2018 5:58 pm

10/5/2018

Today the ants got a mix. Went for a walk and just collected a variety. Down to 30 colonies just now, all large for installs so it is possible to give them a mix. When theres 300 time is not good and its a case of getting the leaves on as quickly as possible.
So they got willow, cherry, including blossom, and some privet (for the first time in a month) that I came upon on the way back.
The ants tore into this selection. Privet was top, cherry and blossom next and then willow. Great activity. First time I saw the gardens covered with leaves this year. Nice to be back in the growing season!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat May 12, 2018 6:00 pm

11/05/2018

Maple today. All very fresh new leaves. Almost look good enough to eat myself. I wonder........
Again, absolutely destroyed them. Over past 3 days fungus garden size has increased noticeably. Definitely a favourite at this end of the season.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Okay, been feeding the ants but havent updated. So heres a few days in one p-ost.

13/5/2018

Fed Privet today because I was in a hurry. Always take privet.

14/5/2018

Fed hazel, they take this very well.

15/5/2018

Did not feed today, still some very fresh hazel in there so left them today.

16/5/2018

Was in Paris today, ants were fed Beech. The new leaves are taken very well, they love them.

17/5/2018

First Oak of the year. Oak is the most satisfying leaf to feed. They all have big smiles on their faces when they are chewing oak. This is their welcome to Great Britain!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 am

It's great how your colonies are taking such a selection Andrew....I'm going to give oak a try when I can get some.