Formica sanguinea

Live Colonies of Ants for sale or wanted. Please note details must include Species, size (approx number of ants/ age) and cost including postage.
Antkit
Pupa

Formica sanguinea

Post by Antkit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Antkit just received another great delivery of Formica sanguinea.

I would mention, the workers are F. fusca. Some of the F. sanguinea Queens have started laying eggs.
Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Shamual
Pupa

Re: Formica sanguinea

Post by Shamual » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Wow impressive!

Quick question. Do you have to keep adding new Formica fusca workers to the colony as the old ones die or are they like lasius umbaratus and just need it for the founding stages?

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Shamual wrote:Wow impressive!

Quick question. Do you have to keep adding new Formica fusca workers to the colony as the old ones die or are they like lasius umbaratus and just need it for the founding stages?
From what I recall, the founding stages do require Formica fusca workers but then the Queens raise the brood with the slaves and then Formica sanguinea workers are produced, then replacing the fusca workers. I don't think fusca workers are needed all the time but Formica sanguinea are known to raid fusca nests for brood.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello Shamual,

Thank you for your question. I understand they can develop with or without using another species of Formica. The idea with these colonies it starts them off faster rather than just purchasing a Queen, plus with many hands making light work, the colony has a much better chance of thriving.

We hope later on in the season to provide larva and pupa for customers to boost their colonies further if they want to.

Many thanks Jon.
Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Oh wow how much this ant I like I've got colony of Formica black are these ones like the wood ant ones

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:44 pm

This is what the workers will look like when the Queens starts laying her own eggs.