The Ant Shop

Live Colonies of Ants for sale or wanted. Please note details must include Species, size (approx number of ants/ age) and cost including postage.
Britishants.com
Worker

Re: The Ant Shop

Post by Britishants.com » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:40 pm

If your getting these from where I think you are I'd be very careful! Smuggling ants in children's toys will get you a criminal record despit what he tells you! :?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Britishants.com wrote:If your getting these from where I think you are I'd be very careful! Smuggling ants in children's toys will get you a criminal record despit what he tells you! :?
What are you on about?? children's toys?? :lol: Mine are packaged correctly labelled as ants, but they will be going through HARC this year. You should report the one your on about :ugeek:
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:20 pm

I dont get it, if we dont have any law against us owning any species of ant why do they need to smuggle them in toys? sorry if im being dumb here.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Daubz1977 wrote:I dont get it, if we dont have any law against us owning any species of ant why do they need to smuggle them in toys? sorry if im being dumb here.
Dont know anything about this. Never heard of this before. I suspect the problem is getting them out of the country of origin rather than into this country. Or it may be that they are first being sent to another country which does have laws.
One thing though, Dale. Although most species of ants are legal to import into the UK, any importation of ants that does not go through a border inspection post and is not issued with an EU entry certificate or a VET certificate is an illegal import. Bringing packages of ants into the UK in parcels without declaring them makes them illegal. This is the route most sellers of ants choose to use because it keeps costs down. One of the reasons I am able to sell ants to Zoos around the world is because I have all of the paperwork to give to these customers. It makes a seller an ethical seller if this is in place. You should always ask for paperwork when buying any livestock which is not captive bred, imo.

Antkit
Pupa

Post by Antkit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am

I agree.
Contact me at ant.enquiries@antkit.uk | All our ants are inspected and certificated at border control.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 am

Agreed

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 am

Interestingly this person has supplied a list of people he already stocks in the UK! #Arkward

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 am

Send me a screenshot of who this 'person' is. I think it's Jon Tam your on about?
Would it be funny if my name was on there, as its my personal friend who send me Oecophylla,and he supplies them only to me...

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:56 am

Britishants.com wrote:Interestingly this person has supplied a list of people he already stocks in the UK! #Arkward
Sounds like he's not genuine already! Why would a supplier list the shops he stocks? Just doesn't sound right to me.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:33 am

Because he believes by telling me who he already supplies that I will do business with him! It's like Pandora's box! It makes sense tho as he's been mentioned as a supplier before in other forums and his contacts match those actually involved in other ant shops! The dark underbelly of the ant world! :lol: