New Genus added to our Forum

Fungus growers of genus that are not Atta or Acromyrmex. If you like them, keep them or want to talk about them, post here.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

New Genus added to our Forum

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Do you think anyone would have any interest in Trachymyrmex or Sericomyrmex fungus growing ants. Firstly I see them in Trinidad and I tend to ignore them. Secondly I never thought anyone would be interested. So my question is two fold. Firstly do you think we should include them here on this forum and secondly do you think they are worth bringing back.
They are very primitive ants, grow fungus but use various things like caterpillar droppings, dead leaves, bits or stem etc. I am sure they would be more difficult to keep than Atta or Acro. Not sure if anyone currently keeps them or has ever seen them. Maybe their husbandry is exclusive to academic institutes where they are being studied. Interested in your thoughts, Andrew

Trachymyrmex

Sericomyrmex

KainII

Re: New Genus added to our Forum

Post by KainII » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Would I buy colony Sericomyrmex. They have a small size. In the colony of about 200 ants.
Who knows where to buy?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Quite an old post so not sure if it would still be on the table anymore but they certainly would be interesting and the colony size would appeal to many people.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:44 am

This is definitely something I am interested in exploring. As soon as the opportunity presents itself I will bring back colonies and send them to ertstwhile members to play with.