Planning to design and build a small colony module.

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Planning to design and build a small colony module.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Been wanting to do this for ages. I will start to plan and design a small unit that will be suitable for housing a small colony of Acromyrmex which could be used by private enthusiasts for keeping their Acros when they buy one from a supplier. There are several versions of housing ideas for Leaf Cutters, all of them are not completely fit for purpose because they lack one main thing. They do not incorporate any life support, heating, humidity etc. So none of them solve the problem.
My design here is for everyone to copy, or add their suggestions, or suggest a different design. Hopefully, once we have gone through this process, we will have a design which ticks all of the boxes and is free for all to use.
So the first requirement is that there has to be heating and humidification built into the unit. It has be ready to plug in when it comes out of the box.

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: Planning to design and build a small colony module.

Post by Leafcutter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm still working on this...

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Planning to design and build a small colony module.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Raj! How are you!! Good to see you again. Hope you are well. Had a long FB convo with Sean the other day and thought I would do this as an exercise. Will probably be in glass which would cause problems in transport but the design should work in any material. Looking at a heating / humidifying design that would fit any pod or small ant unit. Got an idea, I will try to draw it out and then build it with pics. Nothing currently answers these questions. As long as the customer has to sort heating out themselves its not a solution. Some will work well, some will not.