exo terra setup

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: exo terra setup

Post by Andyj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Nooooooo, not at all :)

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 pm

If I can deal with emus running round the house a 6ft lizard and all the other things how hard can a colony of small ants be........Famous last words

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Blimey, iv'e kept a lot of stuff in my years but not an EMU,,,and in the house? Sure i wouldn't even be able to keep my missis if i went down that path. :) Sure you will do just fine.

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 am

I incubate and hatch a large batch of emu eggs each year, I don't keep them too long. I hatch them to sell to a couple of contacts within wildlife parks and also as exotic pets. Not a bad way to make a bit of extra pocket money and quite an experience at the same time. Tempted to keep a pair this year as my workshop is on a farm with stables and paddocks. At the moment I get all my eggs from a couple of contacts around the country.

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 am

Give it 15 days or so and IL post up some pics of the eggs hatching and the new chicks

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:38 am

ben31 wrote:I incubate and hatch a large batch of emu eggs each year, I don't keep them too long. I hatch them to sell to a couple of contacts within wildlife parks and also as exotic pets. Not a bad way to make a bit of extra pocket money and quite an experience at the same time. Tempted to keep a pair this year as my workshop is on a farm with stables and paddocks. At the moment I get all my eggs from a couple of contacts around the country.
How much do you sell eggs for?
I've been looking for a couple of eggs to incubate since I moved to France. We have 26 chickens, 3 guinea foul, 3 geese and a lot of other animals. Only thing I want now are some emus to tame up!
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 am

I buy the eggs from a friend of mine. They lay between December to late February early March. Eggs sell for about £20 each over here. If you PM me I can put you in contact with a couple of good sources of eggs. As long as you give them lots of interaction they will be tame and are very inquisitive interesting birds that make supprisingly good pets if you have the space

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 am

The other option is I can provide you with chicks but don't know how we would go about transporting them over to you

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am

OK so after choosing to go for atta I have decided I may as well start the expansion preparation now.
I already have a 5 ft terrarium similar to what I have used in the main setup but this one being twice the height.
I have just ordered 4 more acrylic nest boxes and a selection of platforms and stands along with 20m of acrylic pipe work and numerous joints and angled connectors so this should be fun

ben31
Larva

Post by ben31 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Right so colonies is expected to arrive on Thursday so I am looking forward to that
Made use of the water in the bottom and have planted and put bogwood in and now have a couple of red crabs, 5 dwarf puffers, small shoal of Harlequin rasbora. Pair of rams, a Cory and an Otto. All the fish are shallow water fish that are pretty hardy to bad water conditions. Might add a few others over time