Trials and prototypes

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Trials and prototypes

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Leafcutter wrote:
Formica123 wrote:Yes, but I was wondering what type of glue :D
Do You think small screws would be better?
Not a good idea to screw into acrylic, especially a cylinder. Tensol adhesive works nest with acrylic to acrylic surfaces.
When I was in South Korea they had screw threaded the acrylic pipe with the same thread as brass fittings so the pipe simply screwed onto the nest box. Very neat, not sure how they did it though!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Just received one of Seans Atta pod sets. Apparently its been sitting in my garage for the past couple of days until Sean told me where it had been left. I have to say my first impressions of this unit are very good. The addition of the ventillation at the top makes this a practicable, attractive and versatile product. I promised I would set it up and report how it performed and I will do this and feed back honestly with positive and negative impressions.
The diameter of the tube between the nest and feeding area is narrower than I am accustomed to but actually looks wide enough in the flesh although a very busy colony in a commercial setup would jam up in this. My first impression of the cylinder size was that it was a little small but then the ability to add modules to it means that the fungus gardens can expand indefinitely. Sean, this unit seems not to have any additional holes for new tubes leading to added pods. Is this a unit that cannot be expanded? Would the expandable starter units not be a standard feature to encourage future purchases?
The kit came complete with clay balls and plaster in a bag. It was quick and easy to assemble.
The obvious problem is the heating question. I will apply some thought to this now I have my hands on one and see what I can do with this one. Overall, very impressed.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm interested to see what you do and how you heat it. Be different for you doing something so small when your used to working large scale lol. What will you use? Acromyrmex? If you do my colony will fill it by 3 quarters.
Ac.oct.Mq500.1(f515).G

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 pm

I've got one as well just paid him today :) can't wait for mine to come

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Thank you Andrew! (BOB) It was in your garage from the previous week btw, 9 days haha and it's sand for the feeding area, absorbs slimy waste not plaster.
Anyway the extension module (sold separate)would go in the middle extending it to a three pod set up! I think that is a good idea about creating holes in the right pod for expansion but the reason for not doing this is being unable to source a (BUNG) or decent looking stop end. I have modules that feature a spare hole with a 4" piece of tube with cotton wool but use these myself for stock colonies.

Feedback is important and this is something I will look at in future, on a positive note I am trialling other species in these and they seem to be doing well so it means I can transfer all remaining colonies in to a slightly modified version (pod with 8mm hole instead of connection tube)

In line with my OCD ant keeping mission I'm trialling out white rings on the lids, made from Acrylic these are more pricey but work visually!
As we're buying in larger volume now of the raw material I hope soon to be able to offer a no frills set up for a lot less!
thank you for the comments xx

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Aqua pod! :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Can you explain how it works Sean? Not clear to me :p

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:19 pm

:?: :? :ugeek:

Deansie26
Major