Trials and prototypes

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Britishants.com
Worker

Re: Trials and prototypes

Post by Britishants.com » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:45 pm

Thanks Dean, much appreciated! I've stacked the other set ups on top of this one now, looks good with different species running around!

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:35 am

Feeding time!

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:37 am

Britishants.com wrote:Feeding time! https://youtu.be/fQAQ2KDKJVw
The ants seem to be struggling a bit to get the leaves through the tubing with the platform stick slightly in the way, are the ants able to carry leaves back to the fungus without the stick?

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:51 am

I was going to move it but it's more fascinating watching them over come such problems, they employ other workers and team up to pull them through! they have two feeding pods, the other pod is easier for them but I have noticed they have the smaller ants use that while the bigger ones take on more of a challenge further from the fungus garden.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:00 pm

I tried using acrylic cylinders to act as a foraging area for my lot but the issue is the number of ants which hang around the edge of the cylinder so whenever I open it, 20+ ants run out. PTFE doesn't work long term as the humidity affects it's usefulness. Any ideas of how you might be able to overcome this issue?

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Leave the lid off the Fluon sprayed tub or have multiple feeding pods like me! That seems to work for me. X

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Or an open moat feeding table, more space would be useful and more practical for a big colony. I can also imagine a very large colony being torture to feed other wise.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Personally I do not think it is a good solution to have a feeding table where you have to risk escapes every time you feed. It is better to be able to work at your leisure separating ants etc at the feeding table without having to worry about ant numbers escaping. In our commercial setups all the feeding tables are moat based allowing the keeper to interact without escapes. Smaller setups, like Seans, may become difficult to manage when attas get really big. I would think they would be at their best when housing small colonies of Attas or Acromyrmex when overwhelming numbers are not a problem.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I must confess to having an Acro colony in a second hand Perspex box and they can get out, I find it fascinating watching them doing their rounds, they never go far and always return! I was talking to one the other day and got caught by the other half! Awkward trying to explain why your saying, 'hello you...where you off to little fella' and my partner says are you talking to an ant? Thought they where all girls! Lol

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:40 pm

So you think a feeding table is a good idea Andrew? The start of your reply threw me as it seemed you where against them then for them?
Going only from experience with my colonys I think it doesn't take a colony to be very large to become a nightmare to feed without a moat. I used to kill my Acros constantly trying to feed and keep in escapees.

I'm sure leafcutter will back me up here lol