Trials and prototypes

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
RichardP
Worker

Re: Trials and prototypes

Post by RichardP » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:15 am

Britishants.com wrote:15 cm height! It could only be submerged to a depth of 9cm assuming you'd want side access, if not you could go for top access only but I'd keep the level at 13cm to be safe, don't want water lapping up over the top. You could seal the whole unit but you'd never get to empty it! Lol
And what is the diameter of the unit?

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:01 pm

15cm depth and width :)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok.. by my reckoning, the volume of the pod would be 2.65 litres.

Therefore if it was submerged to 9/15ths of it's height then the displaced water would equal 1.59 litres. 1.59 litres weighs 1.59 kilos. So that is what would be required to counteract the up thrust. (Less the weight of the pod(s) tubing etc).

If it was submerged to 13cm then this would rise to 2.297 kilos. (again less weight of object itself)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no engineer!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:29 pm

It would definitely take a bit of weight to sink it. Why would you want to submerge it more than around 4cm. Sean, could you not source a tray that was around 22cm diameter and around 10cm high. Then actually glue the lower pod into that so the customer can fill the tray with water. It probably is not a reach to find a tiny heater thermostat to fit the moat, then you might be able to have a complete unit.
Try this website, if you look for long enough you will strike gold!!
www.made-in-china.com