Preparing for the Atta cephalotes

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Preparing for the Atta cephalotes

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Very warm welcome on here, great to get members from Germany! I am in Germany meeting with Martin from Antstore several times per year. Very interested in your setup for Acro. So is this the nest tank and feeding area within this inner tank or do you feed them separately. What species of Acro do you have? How do you maintain humidity in this setup?
Nice to speak with you.

MIIIK
Egg

Post by MIIIK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Hey there,

the Setup is a bit bigger.

This is the Feeding Part and for there Crap there is a third cage to the right.
Datei_000_small.jpg
And normaly i do not need to do anything about the humidity. Maybe i need to spay once a week.

And all i know is that is an Acromyrmex. I got them fom Kalytta. He is well known here in germany and normaly knows whitch ant is whitch but
in this case even he can only say "Acromyrmex sp."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 pm

I meet Gerhard twice a year to deliver colonies of Leaf Cutters to him. Unfortunately he has absolutely no English what so ever so our meetings are very awkward, hand gestures and smiles! Shame really, we could have so much to talk about!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi and nice to meet you! Think Andy is spot on that it will prove tricky to heat without having a big gradient. Individual heat mats under each tank may work if the stat was in the middle but it might not and wont have the clean appearance your after.
Are you using soil?

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:25 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:I meet Gerhard twice a year to deliver colonies of Leaf Cutters to him. Unfortunately he has absolutely no English what so ever so our meetings are very awkward, hand gestures and smiles! Shame really, we could have so much to talk about!
You could always learn German in your spare time... Or Alternatively find a person who can translate for you :).

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

MIIIK
Egg

Post by MIIIK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 am

Gerhard is not so far away from my Location so next time i could come over to translate and we could have a good time there talking ants.

So these Acromyrmex could be from you tho :D

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 am

Could be, I replied to your private message, Mike.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi and Welcome, nice setup!