New unit

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Deansie26
Major

New unit

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:03 pm

This is new unit I've finished recently, the principles of how it works are the same as my wooden version although there is no side viewing window but rather a false lid that gives great viewing if the fungus. I've used high quality materials in the construction of this one which will house an Acromyrmex colony that will be going inside tonight. I've been thinking as this unit is very mobile It would would be easy to relocate it, rent a leafcutter ant colony if you like.
Once the colony is really going well.

ImageImage

Ruairidh
Larva

Re: New unit

Post by Ruairidh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:16 pm

That's really well made, love the clean look, the outside panels would be really easy to customise with logos/artwork too...

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks Ruairidh, absolutely right with the customising. Will probably wrap it at some point if it leaves my house.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Ruairidh
Larva

Post by Ruairidh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:01 pm

"leafs your house" xD

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi tech with a futuristic design. I like. If you had built it with the door on the side it could be very stack able.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks Andy

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:53 am

Saw this in person and its as impressive as it looks in the pictures. A tremendous attention to detail and a very usable prototype. Could be a useful addition in public displays, almost plug and play. Wonder at the cost for private people but, as you said, developments from this model will incorporate all of the lessons and experience from this first one. Very excited you are working on this, it is everything I wish I had time to do but never get to it. Please keep developing, could be great potential if we can get a product at the right price point to launch as an off the shelf item for mass sale. Could bring Leaf Cutters to the masses!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Looks great! Very aesthetically pleasing!