My new Leaf Cutting Ant Room

Post your builds, private or commercial set ups. This is where we will document the creation of housing or the planning and construction of projects from scratch. This differs from the Journal Section because this section does not concentrate on the Ants or the other animals that are being kept, this section focuses on the progress of the build.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: My new Leaf Cutting Ant Room

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 pm

So an update on the new megacomplex I am building in the back garden!
After the amazing year I have had with leaf cutters worldwide I think this new facility is merited and is going to be very good for my business. I have basically had two of my guys working on this project for around a month now, things are going very well.
The heating in the entire greenhouse complex has been redone, new boiler, new manifold system, new radiators throughout, everything replaced and upgraded.
Heres the heating hub....

The large greenhouse, as per the original plan, has now, finally, been raised and a new roof fitted. This was a dodgy time because taking the old roof off at this time of year, with all of the creatures inside, was a risk. But we chose the best few days we could, got mob handed, and went for it. In this picture you can see the old roof shape and the new roof above it.

Also I have fitted huge cannabis lights overhead, so in the winter the timers will come on when it gets dark and stay on to extend the daylight to 12 hours throughout the year.

The new ant room is built, insulated, lined with ply and is now being painted.

and the new mini greenhouse, which will house the Green Weaver ants once it is finished, has also been insulated and lined...

The greenhouses now number 4, there are 4 rooms also and this complex now occupies a larger footprint than my house. However I will shortly have enough capacity for around 500 colonies comprising up to 15 different species of Leaf Cutters and next year I will set about filling it with new and very different stock. I am also replacing all of the glass in the facility with 25mm thick, 7 walled polycarbonate sheeting which is insanely expensive but performs very well. Looking like the new setup will cost in the region of £25 per day to heat, and will require a full time member of staff to run. (full training provided).

Planned completion date will be around 15th December. First 200 colonies will arrive from Trinidad 14th January to add to the 50 larger ones already in stock.

Anyone who would like to visit is more than welcome to do so. More updates as they happen.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 pm

That is amazing... nice one :) You could side line some extra income with those marijuana lights :oops:

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 pm

That is amazing... nice one :) You could side line some extra income with those marijuana lights :oops:

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 am

Absolutely amazing what you can fit in a council house these days. And is there a permanant police helicopter hovering over your green houses?

Very nice indeed but i couldnt cope with your heating bill :shock:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:38 am

Each time a plant matures there is no problem with the heating bills. The local gangs form an orderly queue and I even have a warm area they can go into away from the cold.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:31 pm

That's insane! I can't wait to see it in the flesh.
I think it will be great to see the plants having room to stretch there legs with the extra space.
Why is 25mm polycarbonate needed? Would thick acrylic not perform as well?
Fantastic Andrew

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Jamie the 25mm polycarbonate sheeting has 7 layers separated by pockets of air. Its just about the most efficient clear insulating material in existance. The difference in performance in the greenhouse is epic, even although the height is greater the heat is held far better and the heating to that area is down. I am about to roof greenhouse no 2 in week or so, floor the new ant room and then build the units. Today the central heating thoughout the entire building was switched on for a trial, its cooking in all areas!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 am

I see, no expense spared. I dare say plant growth will be exploding with these conditions. You might get the local foxes and and animals lying against the building for heat in the winter lol.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Thats great!! looks like its coming along well, I can't wait to see the final thing.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Will this room be finished by April? I'm going to a talk at Edinburgh next year in April and can make my first visit,,, about time I'd say
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)